Monday, March 3, 2014

Work with me, March....

Not to sound like a broken record, but OY...isn't it time for Winter to be gone yet? Like we haven't dealt with enough flakiness (in a meteorological way), and frigidness (in a...yeah, exactly what you'd think...way), and kids-off-from-school-nonsense? March, March, March--I know I've had some harsh words for you in the past. Like how you're a colossal disappointment every year, because I hope and even dare to expect that you'll be warm (or at least....not sub-arctic) and inviting, and all "ooh, I'm ushering in Spring, aren't I wonderful?" And instead, you're a damp, raw, nasty...let's go with "meanie".  But whatever--I can agree to let bygones be bygones. Just as long as you take your stupid cold and storms and vamoose, will ya?

What's totally bizarre is that just yesterday, all four of us were playing outside and enjoying the 50* temps. I went for a run, while the boys took a soccer ball to a nearby field to practice for the upcoming season. Even stranger, when Derek came back he reported that he felt tired and winded. He seemed completely baffled by this, which is not surprising to me at all, because this is the boy who I've watched lope up and down a soccer pitch for 90 minutes at a time while barely breaking a sweat or breathing even a fraction more quickly than normal. He makes running look like something fun and natural and easy (and yes, I am CONSUMED with jealousy...darn that....lucky teenager...)

However, for the first time in his young life, he's experiencing a Winter that has prevented him from maintaining his customary fitness level, and he's feeling the effects of the "off-season". (As are we all, incidentally...the difference being, he'll whip back into shape in a flash, while the rest of us will have to work much harder...darn lucky teenager...) And today, he admitted to being sore after his workout--which was a totally novel concept to him. Well, don't worry, honey, because things are NOT looking good for Wednesday, when you're scheduled to try out for the Middle School team...with 4 inches of snow covering the grass. Yeah, good luck with that...

Here's another funny thing that happened somewhere along the way: we (okay, here I'm actually referring to the "Royal We"...so "I") became all...impervious...or whatever...to the season's repeated, dastardly attempts to stifle us in her...white cloak...of tyranny. It totally snuck up on me, but I imagine it must have happened after the previous big storm. You know, the one that dropped, oh, I already don't even remember--maybe a foot or so?--on us, effectively shutting the region down for a few days until we could dig out.

In contrast, I went out today while the flakes were still falling, to shovel the driveway. As I began pushing the 4-inches or so of powder out of my way, my first impression was "eh, this isn't so bad". My very next thought, making my way steadily down toward the mailbox, was "my Subaru can absolutely handle this." A short while later, when I did in fact venture out (to the amusement...and slight consternation...of my family) and navigated the variably snow-covered/slushy/icy/ streets, I found myself saying "pshht, they'll have this clear tomorrow, for sure, no big deal." But....the kids' school system has already called another day off for Tuesday. Sigh. Clearly, we are NOT Minnesota...or New York...or anyplace that's equipped to handle a real-live Winter. This is all I can ask, as we face down the rest of March Mayhem: is it time to head South yet? Huh, huh? Is it? May I be excused? Someone please text me when Spring arrives...

No comments: