Monday, June 4, 2018

The beginning of the end...

Well, another "end of the academic year" is upon us, bringing with it all the utterly delightful chaos and upheaval we've come to expect. I was reminded of this when Derek recounted a conversation he'd had with--oddly enough--one of Riley's Freshman friends the other day. It seems that--let's call him "Cody"--was both concerned and confused by the whole exam schedule...rigmarole...and sought reassurance from the experienced Senior, to make sure he was doing the right thing.

According to Derek, the poor kid was just finding it impossible to believe that if, for example, your first period class won't be having a final, you're not supposed to show up during the block of time set aside for that purpose. "You mean, I just...don't have to come? And I won't get in trouble?" Aaahhh, this really takes me back: I remember having this exact same chat when Derek was in 9th grade, and it sounded mighty suspicious that you were just...permitted...to stay home. I didn't think he was lying to me, by any means, but I nevertheless questioned Derek pretty rigorously at the time, before I finally accepted that he was giving me the correct information. So I totally get it, Cody--"sanctioned skipping" just seems bizarre...but you can take his word for it...and let me just say, "Welcome to the magical world of High School!"

So this year Team WestEnders has TWO people dealing with this phenomenon, making the daily agenda a bit...wacky. Let's see...on Monday, Derek got to remain at home all day, since he already wrapped up his 1st period (AP Stat) and had a study hall 2nd period. But Riley had to be at school in the morning, for his 1st period math exam, before getting to walk home at lunch time, because he'd already completed his 2nd period PE fitness test. Continuing...on Tuesday, Derek will spend a leisurely morning en casa, having taken the AP Environmental Science exam last month. Then he'll finally have to grace campus with his presence in the afternoon--although I confess I'm not entirely certain why his AP Lit class has another test, which seems like total overkill, if you ask me...but whatever. Meanwhile, Riley will need to be in the hallowed halls of learning all day, for (amusingly) both Spanish and English exams. (And here's hoping his brain doesn't get them mixed up, yeah?)

Then--what are we up to? Wednesday? Okay, Derek will hang out at la escuela for both the a.m. (5th period Graphic Design) and p.m. (6th period U.S. History) slots. Riley will enjoy an unencumbered morning, (since his Drafting teacher gave students the option of taking either a final exam, or a software certification test, and Riley opted for the latter), then stroll in for his post-lunch World History final. Finally, both boys will finish their 7th period exams during the early Thursday block (a science-y duo of BioMedical Interventions for Derek, and straight-up Biology for Riley)...after which they'll be D-O-N-E with tests, classes, the 2017-18 school year...basically, the whole kit-and-caboodle.

However, while Riley will undoubtedly revel in the hard-won freedom he has earned...to sleep in on Friday while Elementary and Middle schoolers slog through their last day...Derek will be required not only to get up extra-early, but also to participate in a graduation run-through with his classmates, on UNC's campus. Oh, well--at least I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to wear the robe for it. Which leads me to one more story, regarding the wardrobe requirements for the upcoming ceremony. The correspondence we received from school stated that students should wear "business casual" attire.
Now, Derek--with his "all t-shirt and shorts, all the time" nature--understandably wasn't clear on what this meant, so I told him I'd recommend dress pants, a button-down shirt, and a tie.

When Husband heard about it, he commented mildly, "Business casual doesn't usually include a tie." Derek quickly swiveled his head to me, his expression quizzical, as if awaiting the final verdict. And after a moment's consideration I responded, "Hmm...if you don't mind, I'd prefer you wear one anyway." That seemed to settle it to his satisfaction (especially when I offered to take him shopping for his OWN shirt and tie, so he wouldn't have to keep raiding Husband's closet in the event of any... formal...ish occasions arising...which after all, he wouldn't be able to do from South Carolina, anyway, right?)

Of course, this opened up the discussion for the rest of the goofballs--I mean "Male Trio", with Riley asking hesitantly, "Um...what do you want ME to wear?" This one was easy: "Eh, you're not the one on stage, so nice shorts and a polo is fine." He looked quite relieved, and endorsed this plan immediately. On the other hand, Husband still seemed to be pondering just how...work-like...he would be expected to appear. At this point my attention must have drifted a smidge, otherwise I never would have offhandedly remarked, "If it helps, I'll be in a skirt, blouse, and sandals." I can't imagine what I was thinking, but his instantaneous, earnest reply was an entirely unsurprising, "Oh, I'm not wearing a SKIRT!" Siiighhhh...I suppose I'll count myself lucky if everyone abides by the "mandatory shirt and trousers rule"...which I just made up, by SHHHHH, don't tell them, okay? Trust me, it's in everyone's best interest...

And there you have it...graduation...and SUMMER, here we come! Wheeeee!

No comments: