Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Mid-December Report...

Well folks, there might not be a whole lotta time left in 2018, but that doesn't mean we're just coasting to the end, right? Although technically, I suppose some of us may be doing just that...for example, my older son, whom I just retrieved and brought home after he wrapped up his first semester of college. (Yay! And also: what the HECK? Is it just me, or did that pass in a rapid blur?) He finished up his classes, turned in papers, projects, and lab reports, took final exams...and now he gets to spend a well-deserved respite from the...university shenanigans...at Casa WestEnders for the next month.

As an bonus, I only had to drive as far as Charlotte this time to pick him up, since he'd caught a ride that far with a friend who lives down the hall from him in his dorm, and whose family resides in the Queen City. For perspective, this makes it a 4-hour roundtrip, mostly on highways, with plenty of options for gas and refreshments...rather than the complicated, rural, amenity-less back roads we usually travel on, which take double that amount of time. Needless to say, it was a much easier and more pleasant journey to make, especially on a dark, drizzly, and ridiculously foggy December night.

Now, younger son still has one more week of school left before Winter Break--but in other news, he's turned his attention to...seeking employment. Let me pause for a moment here and remind you that Husband and I had to gently suggest...and then firmly prod...and finally outright demand that Derek get a job during the Summer following 11th grade. But Sophomore Riley--in typical fashion--decided on his own, without any parental prompting whatsoever, that he wanted to start working....preferably "as soon as possible".

However, there's one teensy tiny monkey wrench in his scheme: although NC is a state that claims 15-year olds are permitted to work, we're not finding any places that will actually hire kids below the age of 16. This would be a super-bummer for Riley, since his birthday falls so late in the Summer that he'd essentially lose an entire year if he has to wait, and he's itching to get some experience...not to mention a steady paycheck (for reasons that remain unclear, since he rarely spends money. But who am I to discourage such admirable initiative?)

But I helped him fill out some online applications nevertheless, just in case one of those businesses that say they abide by an age restriction decide to give him a shot anyway. We figure that if all else fails, he can always try working at Subway for a while--like Derek did--until he reaches the arbitrary threshold that will allow him to aim for something else.

On a semi-related topic, I recently realized that I'd arrived at that undeniable point where Job Contentment had begun to undeniably segue into Change of Scenery Mood. Sometime during the hot months (which I know in NC doesn't narrow it down all that much, but just go with it) I began to feel antsy and dissatisfied. When I mentally explored what could be wrong with me, the obvious answer that popped up was: this past October would mark 3 years that I'd held my current position. I'd never thought about it consciously before, but this had been something of a Life Pattern for me over the course of my career...s...with that benchmark tending to trigger a desire for...an as-yet-undefined but absolutely necessary..."something else".

Don't get me wrong--the organization is still wonderful, with an important mission carried out by talented people. It's just that I, personally, feel as though I've reached a natural endpoint of my stint in this particular role, and it's time to move along. And even though I haven't nailed down the details of the Next Big Thing, the holidays provided a fitting transition for me to step down, take some time with the clan, relax, regroup, and head into the new year ready for a fresh challenge.

Soooo...the upcoming week is going to be crazy-weird at the office, to say the least! I have about a million-and-one tasks to tie up in pretty bows--plus colleagues to spend time with, bid farewell to, and make plans to see again in the future, during arranged social occasions after I'm no longer able to catch up with them on a daily basis. Meanwhile I'm actively putting out feelers for opportunities that sound intriguing...because as we all know, my tolerance for boredom is, oh, approximately "slim to absolutely freakin' NONE".

For the moment, I'm totally looking forward to the festive season, and so grateful to be able to celebrate it with the full Male Posse in the house. A little job hunting...lots of chilling...some visiting with far-flung-friends-and-fam...and of course, copious amounts of hot chocolate and holiday treats. Whoo hoo--bring on the Yuletide fun!

No comments: