Thursday, February 7, 2019

Fancy Friday Field Trip

Well, it's technically Winter in these parts (although you wouldn't know it right now, as I'm sitting here next to an open window, basking in the 75 glorious degrees flowing into the house on a gentle breeze...), which means the Great Outdoors is kind of drab and not terribly...visually exciting, let's say. Therefore, when I was seeking something interesting to do  last week, I opted to lean in a more cultural direction, and finally spend some time in the institution that I've been meaning to visit for, oh, approximately 4-1/2 years.

The Ackland Art Museum is situated just off of Franklin Street, on the edge of UNC's campus. It's fairly compact, but it also doesn't charge admission--so obviously a no-risk endeavor! You're basically free to just wander in off the sidewalk and meander through the exhibits, taking as long as you want on things that appeal to you, and skipping those that don't ring your particular bell, so to speak. (After all, no cost = no guilt, amiright?)

So, the ancient Chinese pottery? Gorgeous, impressive, cool to glance at briefly, but not really my thing. Kooky modern sculpture made from old keyboards and other random electronic devices, centered around an optometrist-type eye chart? Worth a moment to stop and shake my head in bemusement. But colorful impressionistic still lifes and landscapes, or super-realistic portraits painted with exquisite detail? Those grab my attention, and sometimes I realize I've been standing in front of one for a while, examining it from all angles and marveling at the creator's skill and talent. (NOT that I'm an expert--or even particularly well-educated about art. I just know what I like, and gravitate toward it!)

Labyrinth of the Inner Ear 1908
In my opinion, probably the most amazing display at the moment is the one on loan from Spain, featuring hand-drawn images by Santiago Ramon y Cajal, a neuroscientist born in 1852, who was one of the first to study the structure and function of the brain. He produced on paper what he saw through a microscope...and the results are beautiful, complex, and altogether astounding.

Saturated Reconstruction of a
Volume of Neocortex
Right next door, UNC has sponsored a room full of complementary masterpieces, made with full-color imaging equipment, resulting in spectacular pictures...of various internal body parts. Believe it or not, they managed to be stunning to the eye, and not at all creepy! (Ah, the power of technology, yeah?)

After strolling through all of the rooms on both floors--taking both pictures and notes, lingering extra minutes in front of items that I, personally, found compelling, and revisiting those I'd deemed my favorites--I felt slightly more educated than when I'd entered, and also (more importantly) supremely pleased and satisfied with my artistic venture. The best part is, while the permanent pieces obviously won't change as much or as often, the traveling collection switches several times a year, tempting one to check in periodically and see what's new.

Hmm, let's review: a free museum...3 miles from my house...across the street from the only Starbucks in town? I'd say this is going to become a regularly occurring adventure, y'all!

No comments: