Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"I'm free, to do what I want, any old time"

Memorial Day approaches, which means people all over this country gear up for a weekend of flag-waving, barbequing, and celebrating the "unofficial start of summer". (As I write this I'm under a fleece blanket, in my flannel pajamas...but in my imagination I'm warm!) Here then are a few of the freedoms I personally feel grateful for as a citizen of the United States:

--Freedom to go to the pool when it opens this Saturday. Also freedom to NOT enter the water until approximately July, when it has risen above 50 degrees.
--Freedom to cook over an open flame in the backyard.
--Freedom to enjoy an adult beverage (AFTER cooking over said fire).
--Freedom to chase small children with water pistols with no repercussions!
--Freedom to consume way too many s'mores (Bonus: if you eat some green salad at the same picnic, the calories cancel each other out. It's true. Just take my word for it!)
--Freedom to spit watermelon seeds--no reason necessary. Extra points if you actually manage to hit a small child involved in the water battle.
--Freedom to play badminton or volleyball or whiffleball or any other game in the grass. Skill not required; sportsmanship mandatory!

And now I am blissfully free to wrap this up and watch the O's/Yanks game for a while. Oh, that reminds me of one last very important thing. I'm grateful to live in a country where I can express my opinions openly and without reprisal. So here goes...Yankees Suck : )!!!!!!!! (It had to be said.)

No comments: