Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Home Again, home again...

Well, the 2011 WestEnders Summer Road Trip is officially in the books.

The Final Totals go something like this:
Days traveled: 8
Cities visited: 3 (in 2 different states and one entirely different country)
Miles Driven: 1,408 (all by yours truly, and most of them were totally painless...but let me state with utmost conviction that after surviving Road Construction from Hell in Connecticut and the %#$* George Washington Bridge in New York, I do not wish to navigate the 435 miles between Boston and my house EVER AGAIN in this lifetime!!!!!)
States passed through: 7 (MD, PA, NY, MA, CT, NJ, DE)
Tanks of gas: 4
Tolls: $33.49 (all paid while moving through the plaza in the EZ Pass Lane at 15 mph or more...I don't know how I ever survived without one of those little transponder doohickeys! Not only did I never have to fumble for the correct amount of money, I didn't even glance at the sign that tells you what the fee is!)
Restaurant meals: many (I don't even want to think about it--the MasterCard bill is going to cause me delayed indigestion next month)
Miles walked: ?? (Let's just say I came back from vacation lighter than when I left, thanks to our rigorous schedule of pedestrian sightseeing...best guess is that we hoofed and/or hiked 3-5 miles a day at a minimum)
Family Memories: too numerous to count, all of them priceless (MasterCard bill notwithstanding : )

Last observations from the Nomadic Life:
--I witnessed a disturbing number of men wearing what could only be described as "capri pants". The first time I did a double take, unsure if I'd mistaken a male for a short-haired woman. Nope, those were definitely a man's legs...I fervently hoped that it was just, maybe, a one-time sighting--perhaps a European tourist or something. But no, I spotted the man-crops over and over again. Now, I'm no fashion icon, of course, but if I might weigh in with my opinion: NO NO NO NO! It's just looks so wrong. Please, guys, choose either pants that reach your ankles, or actual shorts, and leave the capris to the girls. Thank you very much.
--Since I'm on the subject of apparel: I also noticed a significant number of women tooling around in either flimsy flip-flops or mile-high wedges. Besides the obvious danger factor (no lie, I watched a girl slip and fall on her butt at Niagara Falls, then actually appear confused as to why she was sitting on a wet rock with her beach-shoes sticking out in front of her), and the risk of extreme discomfort (the Freedom Trail in heels? Ouch!), I wondered how on earth these--albeit stylish--women could possibly cover any ground in that ridiculous footwear. Or doesn't everyone on vacation force-march themselves 5 miles a day to maximize their sightseeing time?
--Finally, I learned a few valuable lessons to tuck away for future tour-planning. First, the boys surpassed my expectations and hopes by being pleasant, cooperative, and tireless on this "test trip." Cars, boats, subways, city-walking, trail-hiking, they did it all with energy and enthusiasm to burn. Road Trip Warriors they proved themselves to be. (Huzzah!) The second revelation was more of a self-insight. After spending my 20s driving around the US, sleeping in budget (not "fleabag", but shall we say, "lacking in amenities") motels or youth hostels to save money, I'm quite O-V-E-R the bargain-basement traveling mode. Or maybe it's because I'm older now, and more appreciative of my creature comforts...but our boys are rapidly getting spoiled by the nice (not Hilton-level, but WAY above your average Motel 6) hotels we pick these days. (Oh well, I guess they can still  be seasoned travelers but not "rough it", yes?) And last but not least: really the only stressful aspect of our vacation revolved around the big F--Food! Since the last 2 trips included all meals, it was a bit of a hassle to have to consider where and when our next nosh was coming from. And of course it was somewhat of a shock to the old Bottom Line, paying out-of-pocket for each and every breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack required by 2 half-grown and one full-grown male. Sheesh. So in talking this over, Husband and I fully agreed that our next Summer Getaway will be to some kind of all-inclusive Resort where every time one of the kids professes hunger, we can shoo them off to the Food Court for some (already paid for) sustenance.

There you have it, the Ultimate Wrapup from Team WestEnders. Now it's back to "normal"...maybe starting with a nice nap while the boys get re-acquainted with the Wii they missed so much...

No comments: