Monday, August 15, 2011

A Note from the Techo-philes

Another entry into the "Really Should Have Seen This Coming" category: my kids have morphed into full-fledged Tech Junkies...and it's all my fault. I believe I can pinpoint the exact moment the problem began, earlier this year when I upgraded my cell phone to one equipped with Android. Did I strictly NEED to do this? Well...no. But suddenly I held in my hand the freedom of unlimited texting and the power of mobile Facebooking and the convenience of on-the-go e-mailing...it was heady stuff, I tell you. Oh, and as if all that didn't provide enough fresh fun and excitement, I immediately installed Angry Birds (okay, 3 different versions, so what?) to help me fill whatever "down time" I might experience while out pursuing my busy and fulfilling life. 

Alright, alright--I might have planted the seedling of Electronics Envy...but then I watered it further when I had to replace my aging (as in "refuses to charge any more so forget listening to music") mp3 player a few months later. After diligently performing copious amounts of online research in order to make an informed, intelligent decision as to what brand and model would suit me best, I ended up with an iPod Touch. The boys seemed positively mesmerized as they watched me play with my little toy--loading my music library, creating playlists...and yes, downloading Angry Birds. Suddenly Derek, who had been insisting for a month that he didn't need any new music on his (hand-me-down) iPod Shuffle because he "just didn't listen to it anymore", started plotting to save up his allowance and buy a player just like mine. "And then," he added brightly, "I just need a few dollars more, and I can get APPS!" Oh. Dear. But this shouldn't come as any surprise whatsoever, since we're talking about the same boy who (because Mom and Dad categorically refused to purchase one for him) hoarded his money faithfully for as many months as it took to buy a Nintendo DS. Then recently he decided to trade up to the DSi, because "it's way cooler, Mom; it has a camera, and you can connect to the Internet!" (Where could he possibly get these fanciful notions? I just can't imagine!)

Meanwhile Riley has duly inherited the family Shuffle and joined the Nerd Patrol with a vengeance. The first thing he requested was that I remove all of the Jonas Brothers songs and stock the device with his absolute favorite band in the entire world: the Black Eyed Peas. Yes, my almost-8-year old has apparently outgrown boy-band pop and instead prefers to get funky with the likes of  Will.I.Am and Taboo...oh, and he also harbors a celebrity crush on the lovely Fergie. Sigh. Picture him strutting around the house with his headphones on, belting out "I Gotta Feeling" (ooh, ooh) while Derek collapses to the floor and rolls around in uncontrollable hysterics. Yeah, we simply call this the Pre-Dinner Entertainment around here these days. (In order to drown out the Peas concert, Derek asks to borrow my iPod...and proceeds to mock the Glee selections while searching for some more male-tween-friendly choices...like Usher and Iyaz, evidently. My little Urban Hipster...)

Obviously, then, we can place the blame for the severe (probably incurable) case of Tech Lust squarely on my shoulders. I hereby accept full responsibility for creating the little Gadget Monsters.  From now on, I promise to try to demonstrate a more mature, thoughtful attitude toward acquiring and using technological advances in our home. And I’ll definitely get right on that resolution…very, very soon…but first I must address an issue that has recently come to my attention: I just might need a Kindle (Wait! Let me explain! It’s small, and light, and not terribly expensive, and fits in my work bag better than a book! Uh-oh…I’m going to need an Intervention, aren’t I?)

No comments: