Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Tale of Three (Sets of) Sauconys...

Today's mission would normally strike abject terror into the hearts of even the most red-blooded American males...Shoe Shopping (pause for the sons to sprint from the room, howling in agony at the anticipated torture). EXCEPT: they were the ones who needed new sneakers. (That's right, again. Sigh.) So we headed to the Stride Rite outlet, as we seem to do every August, to score some quality shoes (the criteria being "won't fall apart before they're outgrown") that hopefully don't cost Mom the proverbial arm and leg. Bonus: this store carries the Saucony brand of running shoes, which are not only cushy and comfortable (I've bought countless pairs since one of my Graduate School professors recommended them to me), but have proven durable enough to withstand even Derek Abuse (a phenomenon that has shredded lesser sneakers in the past). In short order, Derek, Riley and I had all chosen our own new pairs of sleek, light, athletic shoes...different colors, but all Saucony. The boys even did the standard (for our family, at least) "Race Around the Premises Dodging Toddlers and Benches to Check the Fit Test"...I'm sure the employees were thrilled to see us satisfied...and leaving. But the ultimate reward showed up at the cash register, when the total came to a whopping: $72 bucks. Whoo hoo! Shoe Coup! (Sorry, I'm still a little giddy from the excitement, can you blame me?)

How does one top a super-successful shopping spree like this one? By trying out the new apparel, of course! We all laced up our sneaks and headed for the High School track, to perform a Test Workout. My standard plan of attack--honed from many years of running experience...in conjunction with a strong desire to maintain functional knees for several more decades, if possible--is to warm up by walking a lap, then run 8 or 9 more, and finally cool down and stretch. Derek, at age 11, understands the concept, but tends to abbreviate the "Warmup Phase" and get right down to running much more quickly. However, this was the very first time Riley had joined us...and he utterly ignored all cautionary advice and shot off at a dead sprint as soon as his feet hit the track. Of course, half a lap later when I caught up to him, he was already panting. After a few more minutes he was practically in tears, claiming that he "sucked at running" and felt too exhausted to continue. Meanwhile Derek cruised around the circle, off in his own little Running Rhythm, which I noticed judiciously included periods of walking when he felt fatigued. So Riley was treated to a little impromptu lecture (complete with convenient demonstration--just look at your brother!) about figuring out your own speed; and pacing yourself for the long haul; and integrating walk/run intervals; and most significantly: enjoying yourself and not competing with anyone else! Sheesh! We're here to have FUN, for Pete's sake! (Also I thought it worthwhile to point out, as he attempted to "keep up" with Derek and me, that Riley has absolutely no control over the fact that at age 8, he's just over 4-feet tall...and has short legs...and incidentally began his running program...TODAY. Lighten up, dude!)

I think I finally got through to him, since I managed to run/walk for 27.5 minutes (10 laps) altogether, and he joined me for a large part of it. Then after a refreshing drink of water, I suddenly was possessed by the spirit of Evil Coach, and ordered the Bleacher Steps Drill (mwah hah hah). So we jogged up, across the row, and down the stadium steps a total of 10 times--you know, just to finish out our exercise session on a strong note. Finally we stretched everything out, and returned triumphantly home: sweaty, tired, and pleased with our outing. Oh, and the boys of course felt ravenous on top of that...it's a good thing I saved all that money on shoes, so I can put it right into their Post-Workout empty bellies...and I really hope I wore them out enough so that they don't ask to go running again tomorrow!

No comments: