Tuesday, June 12, 2012

From School...to the Pool

Phewwwwwwww. In case you were wondering, that was a huge exhale, signaling the blessed end of the school year at last. That's right, the final lunches have been packed, the final Homework Planner entries have been signed, the final tests and assignments have been completed (as far as I know, at least...eh, too late to do anything about it now!) And now, it's all about unwinding and enjoying the Summer Life. (Well, for the next 10 weeks, anyway...or until the novelty wears off, whichever comes first. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves!)

For Derek, it seems the finale couldn't have come quickly enough. He handled the daily grind of expectations and responsibilities that accompany Middle School, but he's certainly not upset to be rid of them for a nice long grace period. And now of course he can proudly say he survived his first, crucial "transition year" into the new system...with minimal damage to either his self-esteem or Grade Point Average, as far as we can tell. Even if I'd thought to ask him, I'm not entirely sure what his goals for the Summer would be. At this early point in the vacation period, I imagine he'd favor me with a glazed, slack-jawed stare and mumble something typically informative and expressive for a 12-year old boy being prompted to think critically in his off-hours...maybe something along the lines of "um...I dunno." Knowing him as I do, though, I suspect his informal agenda includes nothing more than the essentials: catching up on sleep, playing video games, practicing sports in the back yard, hanging out at the pool...oh, and eating as much and as often as Mom will condone.

Riley, on the other hand, greeted me this morning when I went in to nudge him out of bed with the surprising statement, "I don't want this to be the last day of school." (I'm sorry, whaaaaat? I casually leaned over to inspect him more closely, just in case he'd been switched during the night with some kind of alien...nerd child. Oh wait, that IS my little nerdling. Never mind.) He continued, "Now the only way I can see my friends is at playdates. I'd rather be in school, learning with my friends every day!" (Sniffle...I'm so pleased that he even threw in the "learning" part...so at least he's a Nerdy... Social Butterfly, I guess? Hey, a phrase springs to mind--something to do with an apple, and a tree...) To be honest, I was very gratified to hear him talking about missing school, given the rough way he started 3rd grade. It was a long, sometimes teary (him, not me), occasionally clingy (Riley again), periodically frustrating (okay, this one got both of us) journey from "I don't want to leave you and go to school" to "I'm gonna miss that place". I might not have noticed it while embroiled in the day-to-day chaos--I mean "completely controlled, organized schedule"--of the academic year, but now I suppose it's obvious that my baby grew up a bit over these last 10 months.

Well, I would have to conclude that we've ALL earned ourselves a nice stretch of good old resting and relaxing. (Yes, me too...who do you think assembled all those dang meals, stayed on top of assorted due dates, sent in an endless stream of money and permission slips, and assisted with projects of all kinds? Heck, I feel like I just successfully completed 3rd and 6th grades! Yay, me!) So...if you need us for anything, check the back yard, where we'll be lounging in the hammock, sipping cool drinks, basking in the sunshine and inhaling the fresh air. Of course you're welcome to join us...would you mind bringing some watermelon on your way out? Aaaahhhh.....

No comments: