Sunday, February 2, 2014

Topsy-Turvy Time

If you go in for stuff like "self-reflection" and "resolving to make positive changes" and "setting goals", January 1st is supposed to the Big Day. But for me personally, I don't know what all the New Year's hoopla is about. It's just another freezing day in the middle of Winter...and we're all practically comatose from 6 weeks of sugar cookies and peppermint cocktails and staying up past our bedtime...so surely we can't be expected to be in the best frame of mind to kick off any kind of meaningful life-improvement program. (Or is that just me?)

However, take Super-Groundhog-Bowl-Day, which seems like a much better choice for--if not exactly "major shakeups"--at least examining how the season's been going, so far. Hmmm...I think I can sum it up quite succinctly: Is. It. Freakin'. OVER. Yet? Whether or not the famous little rodent saw his shadow is irrelevant at this point--it's been Winter for....ever.... Normally, around here we get away with wearing a jacket--rather than a parka--into December. Not this year. The cold descended quickly and mercilessly, and then stuck around. (Dramatic? Sure. I blame it on 2 months of shivering...makes me cranky...) And then, would you believe, it had the audacity to snow! Early and often! I swear, between the holiday break and the cancelled days and the 2-hour delays, students have barely been to school since about Thanksgiving, it seems.

The boys think it's a bit hilarious, given that it's our last Winter in this region. (Of course, I am finding it considerably less amusing...) However, even they are becoming less enamored of the freeze factor and the white stuff. My outdoor-loving kids, who are most comfortable and content in shorts and t-shirts, are understandably ready to move on to the next big thing. (Um, that would be "Spring" in WestEnders speak...) In an ironic way, this weekend did...and didn't...help. I write this at the tail end of 2 days of 50-degree temperatures, during which we all spent copious amounts of time outside...without heavy coats...or gloves! We got just a little bit pleasantly spoiled, but the next round of frozen stuff is set to arrive...tomorrow, for crying out loud. Yeah, yeah, I understand that it's February, and it's supposed to be like this, blah blah blah. Doesn't stop me from wishing for an early thaw, though.

Oh well, if it gets TOO bad (meaning either the weather, or my tolerance for it), pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training in just a few short weeks. Perhaps some team in Florida or Arizona (I'm not picky, any of them will do--okay, except the Yankees...) needs a photographer/blogger to chronicle their experiences for the fans, as they prepare for Opening Day...heeeeeyyyy, pardon me while I go revamp my resume...and dig out my sandals and sunscreen, you know, just in case...

No comments: