Thursday, April 5, 2018

Boats, bridges, and battlefields (oh my!)

While Day 1 in New Bern had proved both enlightening and entertaining, the sun hadn’t made an appearance to grace my travels. So when I awoke on Saturday to a bright blue sky and copious rays, I knew I’d be exploring a bit more before taking my leave. First up: a stroll across the bridge that leads into town, for some scenic riverscapes. Although it was super-windy and slightly on the cool-ish side, the excursion proved just as lovely as I’d hoped. What is it about bodies of water that invokes such a deep-seated sense of peace, causing one’s breathing to calm and mind to cease racing? Seriously, if someone could identify and bottle that stuff, they’d make millions, I tell ya.


And of course there were the rows upon rows of cheerful sailboats to behold, gently bobbing on the waves. Now, I don’t love to be, you know. ON small crafts, in general….but I do absolutely enjoy gazing upon--and photographing--them. (What can I say? I’m a woman of many complicated contradictions...or whatever…)


Then came the huge unexpected BONUS of my walkabout...I began to hear a repeated clanging sound, like a signal for something. I suddenly remembered the signs I’d seen while driving in the previous day, giving instructions for “Pedestrians (to) stop here when bell sounds”. At the time I’d given it a curious moment of thought, but hadn’t really stopped to try to figure out what it actually meant. Now, however, it dawned on me that it must be a drawbridge, and they were warning you to remain in the safe zone if the structure needed to be raised.


Which it did, apparently. I joined the line of cars waiting behind the lowered barriers and watched, utterly fascinated, as a portion of the roadway tilted up, up, up towards us, to allow a tall-masted schooner to scoot through unobstructed. (Is that an appropriate term? I could totally be using my ignorance to take liberties with the nautical lingo. But I liked the way it sounded, so I'm just gonna go with it...and I apologize in the unlikely event that any sailors...or...um...pirates?...read this...) I’m not sure exactly why that struck me as so cool...but it definitely counted as my silly thrill for the morning.


After that, it was back to the car for a short jaunt over to the New Bern Battlefield Park...which turned out to be a long, fancy name for...a small plot of nondescript forest that didn't contain much of interest, actually. I got the basic gist--the town was desirable because of its waterway access, and therefore potential for shipping goods and people during the Civil War. Brigadier General Ambrose Burnside successfully defeated the Confederate forces to gain control of New Bern, and it remained in the Union’s hands for the rest of the conflict. (Because even though it wasn’t very impressive, as historical sites go, I couldn’t help but read the plaques, you know? C’mon, there might be a quiz! If so, I’m prepared…)


Finally--on a related note--I made my way to the New Bern National Cemetery, which was established in 1867 and now serves as the final resting place for soldiers from that time forward. It reminded me of a mini-Arlington, with white marble markers in orderly rows, amidst a bucolic setting. I swear, even the birds, who have been joyfully warbling away now that the weather has at long last decided to become Spring-like, seemed to confine their singing to a respectful, reverent volume within the boundaries of the burial grounds.

It was a soothing way to end my pleasant sojourn in the Coastal Plains...and when I’d had my fill of reading headstones and soaking up the solar energy, I turned the Subaru westward to make my way back to the Triangle, and reunite with the also-returning Male Posse. Another successful field trip...and also one more spot checked off on my “Tour North Carolina” list. Yep, I'm gonna have to call that...a Win!

No comments: