Saturday, April 21, 2018

Welcome to the Club...

Well, I suppose it had to happen, eventually. I mean, in some ways, it certainly was a long time coming...yet nevertheless it managed to sneak up on me somehow. (Oh, riiiiiight--we call that "denial"...) After years of infancy, toddlerhood, preschooldom, elementaryness, tweenageism, and adolescence, my oldest child can now be called...an ADULT. (You know, at least in the legal sense--we're all aware that the brain doesn't finish developing until around age 25, blah blah blah. But we're gonna go with the "metaphorical age of maturity" for dramatic purposes, 'kay?)

Although Derek approached his impending...grown-up status...with his usual nonchalant air, Husband and I thought it was kind of a Big Deal. In fact, I even tried--for months beforehand, mind you--to entice Derek with the offer of a trip to commemorate his special milestone. But the only thing he could come up with was...Milwaukee (believe it or not)...to see an NBA playoff game. (Which is a strange tale in and of itself, but suffice it to say, he's inexplicably turned into a Bucks fan in the past several years. No one has a clue why...) Unfortunately, the professional basketball schedule didn't coincide in any way with a convenient school holiday, so that turned out to be impossible.

And when I switched tactics, and attempted to pin him down to something ELSE he might want as a gift? I got a whole lotta...nothin'. That is, until about a week before the anniversary of his birth, when he finally compiled a very short list for me--all of which involved clothing, amusingly enough. So I scrambled to place some hasty online orders, one of which resulted in the pictured (Malcolm) Brogdon tee that pleased him very much. (Wait a minute--WHO? I know, it's ridiculous. Apparently this kid was last season's Rookie of the Year....that no one outside of Wisconsin...besides my son...has ever heard of...). I also surprised him with a Greensboro Grasshoppers shirt (his alleged "favorite minor league baseball team)--an item he'd mentioned several times, but didn't expect me to actually purchase for him. (Mom, FTW!)
Meanwhile, his brother went straight to heart...by way of the stomach,...and supplied some tasty snack foods that he thought Derek would enjoy. (Seriously, Cheez Its...and M&Ms? I can't decide if it's pure genius, or utterly disgusting...but Derek polished off the box in a couple of sittings, making his vote crystal clear.)

Hoooooowever...we're still waiting for the Dylan Bundy replica jersey...which the site where I found it failed to mention is being shipped from CHINA. So who honestly knows when it'll arrive--but hopefully sometime before the end of the Orioles' season. (And that, my beloved offspring, is why you make your wishes known more than 7 days in advance! Just sayin'....)

Anyway, to finish the fashion-palooza, we took a jaunt to Kohl's, to replenish Derek's supply of shorts...since he pointed out that he's pretty much been wearing the same ones since Middle School. So, to put it mildly, it's high time we replace some of those pairs...before they start disintegrating and causing unfortunate wardrobe malfunctions that lead to public embarrassment...or being sent home from class for violating the dress code.

Having successfully exercised the credit card, we then continued the festivities with (drum roll) CAKE, of course! Now, I usually throw together whatever flavor the honoree wants--from a boxed mix, given my tendency toward culinary...laziness. But this year, I'd seen a super-cool tie dye creation on Food Network's The Kitchen....and I threatened--I mean "offered"--to make it for Derek. He agreed that would be fine (After all, why wouldn't he--it's dessert, right?), so I whisked and food colored and swirled and stacked and frosted and decorated...and while it definitely wasn't as pretty as the professional one on TV, everyone agreed it could be called a success. (Because yeah: no matter what, you end up with a sweet treat. And frankly, we're not that picky...)

Although we haven't yet gone out for the traditional "family restaurant dinner" that each member of Team WestEnders gets to choose for their birthday (due to "homework", that dreaded nemesis of fun), I'd have to say we feted the new 18-year old pretty thoroughly. When I inquired as to whether he felt older, or different--or anything at all, for that matter--Derek gave one of his patented shrugs and replied, "Eh, not really. People keep asking me that, but (here he paused to reflect a moment) 18 is one of those deceptive birthdays. It seems important, but you don't get any special privileges, like driving at 16, or drinking at 21. It's just...over-rated."


I restrained myself from pointing out that he can now participate in the democratic process--whoo hoo!--because I do get what he's saying. Perhaps this particular age means more to the parents, who at this point are feeling a whole host of emotions...from the inevitable disbelief ("Are you kidding me? How is it possible that our baby is 18 already?"); to relief, for have shepherded him through his tender childhood era, and delivered him safely to the realm of adulthood; to pride, for the young man he's become; to excitement, for what awaits him on the horizon in the next stage of his life. Now before I collapse into a teary-eyed puddle of goo, I believe I'll drown my melancholy with a nice, strong drink (of tea)...and some leftover baked goods! Cheers to Derek!

No comments: