Friday, August 23, 2019

Settling in for Sophomore Year...

Derek's and my second day in South Carolina was all about getting him organized and ready to hit the ground running when it was time to be a student, a little bit later in the week. But first, since I didn't have to pick him up until the college-kid-reasonable hour of 10:00 a.m., I had time for a stroll--achieving the dual objectives of 1) getting a (hopefully) pleasant dose of the outside world, before the temperature started climbing toward its final (icky) destination of around the mid 90s and 2) moving my body and accumulating some of my daily steps, ahead of the 4-hours I'd be spending in the car on my tush while returning to Chapel Hill. 

Image may contain: outdoorI even had a plan: you see, when stretching my legs the previous night, I'd discovered that the hotel's street continues only a short way once you pass the building...and dead-ends at a park. As if this weren't enough of an exciting find...how could I possibly resist exploring a place where the very first thing you see is a warning sign, cautioning you to watch out for alligators? I mean, c'mon, OF COURSE I'm going to take that challenge, y'all! 

So, into the woods I walked, keeping my head on a swivel, remaining on high alert for reptile activity...oh yeah, and enjoying the unspoiled splendor, blah blah blah. No, no, I'm kidding (not about the gators, though, 'cuz I was totally psyched to see one)--it turned out to be an extensive, well-maintained network of paved paths, meandering along the Congaree River, under the shade of...I don't know, let's just say "lots of trees of indeterminate types". (Hey, I love the Great Outdoors as much as the next chick, but I never claimed to be John Muir, 'kay?) As it turns out, it was while peering through some of these verdant branches, toward the peacefully flowing water, that I first noticed...a freakin' colony of Big. Ass. Spiders. living just slightly off the trail, in their group of enormous webs. 

Now, I know you can't tell from the photo, but these suckers were easily 2-3 inches long...which is approximately...waaaayyyy too damn big for my comfort. The thing is, once you actually notice them, you become aware of the fact that there are so, soooo many of them....EVERYWHERE you look in the forest. 

At this point my charming "communing with nature" took a decided turn, since every breath of wind caused me to frantically duck and spastically wave my arms around, brushing imaginary webs off my head...and every rustle of leaves made me jump, as if a marauding alligator was about to burst out of the underbrush and chomp on me. (Yeaaahhh, I didn't think about it at the time, because clearly I was too busy fighting off invisible predators...but it occurs to me now that I must have looked completely deranged. Eh, no one reported me to the Park Police--as far as I know, at least--so it's all good, right? Also, in case you were wondering, the power of Google helped me identify the creepy crawlies as "Golden Silk Orbweavers"--which is much too lyrical a title for the beasts if you ask me, but whatever...) 
Image may contain: plant and outdoor 
Anyway, although not perhaps as relaxing as one might originally have hoped...it counted as my workout for the day, so I'm gonna call that a win. (And obviously, I didn't get bitten...or devoured, so there's that...) After a shower and free Starbucks-to-go (the further perks of staying at a highbrow hotel for once), I headed back into town to pick up my wayward son. Our first joint venture of the morning involved unpacking and putting away his belongings, since as he put it the day before, "The disorganized state of my room is stressing me out, to be honest!" (One of the few times with this particular child that the "apple/tree" adage can be applied. Apparently tidiness can be inherited...or nurtured, I guess...that's a debate for another time, however...)

So we worked in tandem for a while, finding places for all of his stuff, and noting a couple of items we'd either forgotten, or hadn't realized he needed. (Shower curtain hooks, plastic tumblers for the kitchen, a refill on hand soap--it was admittedly somewhat of a weird list. Plus, yet another trip to a Big Box Store...and on the day when the entire rest of campus moves into their dorms....yaaayyy? More like ay yi yi...) 

Meanwhile, we got to chat a a bit more with several of the roommates, and learned that both of them are planning to attend Law School next year. Add this to the third guy, who's already in the graduate Pharmacy program, and you have...the potential for a reassuringly studious apartment (fingers crossed)! About the living space itself, I have few words to share...let's just say it's...old...er...kind of beat up...and, um..."none too clean", and leave it at that. To give you an idea--I, personally, wouldn't last 5 minutes there--but they're young dudes, so I'm sure they'll be fine.
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling 
Next, Derek and I moseyed forth in search of sustenance. Attempting to branch out from our usual go-to joints (Panera and Chipotle, both of which we'd patronized very recently), we chose to try someplace new for us, located right in the heart of the business district near the university. Sure Fire Taco and Tortilla Grill ended up being delicious and satisfying...so, whoo hoo for being able to add another restaurant to our repertoire!

Speaking of food, while we were enjoying our lunch, it suddenly occurred to Derek that--unless the apartment complex's shuttle buses began running right away on Move-In Day--he might not be able to get to campus and use his meal plan until classes start. (Because, you know, it's very on-brand for him to already be contemplating his NEXT eating opportunity while in the middle of his current one...) Thus we added one more stop: Publix supermarket, for some freezer items to get him through a couple of days if necessary.

Aaannnd...then we were officially done with all the things I could help him accomplish on this trip. (He hadn't heard back from his Academic Adviser about setting up an appointment to discuss changing his Chemistry class, so we couldn't address one of our planned agenda items. Therefore he'll just have to deal with it himself...like the adult he is. (Gulp....breathe and trust, breathe and trust...) My final request was for an "After" snapshot, once he finished arranging and decorating his bedroom on his own. And then...it was time for hugs, and goodbyes...and the obligatory embarrassing parental selfie, which I insisted upon, regardless of how ridiculous and juvenile it might appear to the Senior roommates. (Suck it up, buttercup--I'm your mother. Besides, I'm sure you'll all get over it...while probably laughing about it later. And I'm totally cool with you bonding over shared Mom Mortification. Go ahead and have at it...)

Last year, I got into my car after our farewells, barely managing to hold back tears...and proceeded to sob pretty much all the way back to NC. I'll tell you what: that brutal drive is burned into my permanent memory bank, for sure. This time, however, was just a bit easier. Don't get me wrong: I'm going to miss him like crazy. I remember that it was strange when he came home in May, adjusting to having him back in the house all the time. But we all quickly reverted to being a family of four again, and then it felt normal, as if he'd never left. And then, he was around for three whole months, during which--sure, things were different than when he was in High School--but we got used to having him around for conversation and activities, as part of the full-squad Team WestEnders, so to speak. 

And that's what I'll notice and mind the most, I think--not being able to talk to him every day, like we usually do when he's here. (Because I'm NOT that mother who checks in on a daily basis. Aren't you super-proud of my admirable restraint? I know am...I probably deserve a damn medal, or something...) So we'll re-institute the Sunday phone calls, when we catch up on all of the weekly news...and count down to when he comes home for a visit, in October. See? Maybe I'm growing up, too! Sure, let's go with that...and lots of dark chocolate to get me through these early days. After all, that's healthy, right? Please say yes...and pass the good stuff!

No comments: