Thursday, February 4, 2010

Snow-my-goodness!

Having lived in Maryland my entire life, I can remember some pretty big snows from my childhood. I can still picture drifts piled up higher than my head.  I fondly recall missing multiple days of school in a row for particularly fierce storms.  Once, my parents' street was so deeply covered (and rural, therefore not likely to see a plow for DAYS) that when our next-door neighbor cut himself with a knife while cooking, the Fire Department had to park the rescue truck 1/4 mile away at the entrance to our neighborhood...and continue to the house on a snowmobile.  However, I have never experienced anything like what I endured tonight:  our local Giant grocery store, the night before a Major Snow Event.

These days, this area normally gets a measly 8 inches or so of snow a year. So imagine our collective shock in December, when we got a blizzardy-type of snowstorm that pummeled the area with up to 2 feet of the white fluffy stuff.  The Media Wise Guys--when they had dug themselves out sufficiently to comment--promptly dubbed it "Snowpocalypse."  I'll bet they're wishing they hadn't used that one already. The forecast for this coming weekend, once the Crystal Ball Gazers--I mean Meteorologists--finally committed to some numbers, calls for a possibility of 12-18 inches...on Friday alone.  On Saturday the description, beneath a nondescript picture of a snowflake, merely states "100% chance of snow." (Duh, you think?  I gotta get me a Weather Girl Job...)

Now, I don't know if I've never actually visited a grocery store the night before a predicted snowstorm, or if people are just majorly freaked out because of what happened last time...but you would have thought it was Armageddon (with a 24-hour advance warning), and frozen pizzas were the only thing that could save you and your family from annihilation.  There were no carts outside the store (my first clue; sadly, I did not turn and run at that point).  The checkout lines snaked down the aisles, 10-desperate-humans-deep. (second clue;  still I persisted, like a crazed woman who must have her eggs!  and pancake mix!  the world can end, but breakfast will go on!) I picked up the absolute last can of diced tomatoes on the shelf; no lie, the supplies in this particular store were so depleted, they may as well have closed down after I left, because anyone who wandered in later would have been reduced to purchasing Wheaties...and maybe some Spam.

But the true punchline is: the liquor store was even worse! (How did I know this?  I was there, of course.  Wait, that's completely beside the point!)  At least now if we can't get out of our house for days, we can have beer, and brunch!

No comments: