Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Santa Baby (here's what *I* wish for...)

Every year my mother STILL asks me what I want for Christmas. It's very sweet--she likes to have colorfully-wrapped presents under the tree at her house for everyone, including all of the adults and grandkids alike. As a grownup, though, it can be difficult for me to think of what to write down on my Wish List. Sizing schemes for women's clothes are so bizarre these days that things tend not to fit me unless I try them on first...and I'm totally picky about what I like and don't like to wear, so I buy all of my own apparel. If something breaks or wears out in the house and we really need it, I replace it. If there's anything I want during the year, I go ahead and buy it. So basically there's nothing I want or need come holiday time. However, there are some fanciful dream-gifts that I would LOVE to receive, if Santa could find it in his heart--and sleigh--to bring them.

--a House Elf: our own little Dobby would cheerfully perform all the onerous household tasks I loathe, such as cooking, cleaning, laundering, etc. (oh wait, I guess that's ALL of them...)

--a Star Trek-type Transporter thingie:  sometimes, I enjoy driving--over winding roads, through the countryside, watching the peaceful scenery flow by. Other times, like during daily errand-running, not so much: honking horns, traffic lights, bumper-to-bumper cars, stop-and-go mayhem. At these times, I'd prefer to just be "zapped" to my destination and home again, with no muss, no fuss. (and I'd LOVE to say "Beam me up, Scotty!" Don't say it, I already know: Nerd.)

--a Tropical Island Retreat: you see, I could just pop over in my handy-dandy Transporter whenever I'd had it up to my earwarmers with the Winter cold (that would be fairly often...okay, DAILY). I could take in some ocean breezes, soak up some toasty sunshine, then zip back for dinnertime with the Fam (or not...maybe just a few more minutes...check back tomorrow...)

--an Internal Heater: for times when I have to be at home in the frosty Mid-Atlantic (I realize that doesn't sound too tough, but trust me, it's COLD here!). This device would regulate my core temperature, radiating warmth all the way out to my fingers and toes whenever they seemed the least bit chilly. Maybe I could splurge for the Deluxe version that would also alert you to other potential System Concerns..."your blood sugar is falling--have a snack before you yell at someone!" or "your energy and fluid levels are low--coffee is needed, ASAP!" (As a matter of fact, this one I really do need, badly...maybe I can find myself an inventor!)

Hey, Kris Kringle and his merry elves are supposed to be magical, right? These could happen! Ooh, I really hope I'm on the "Nice" list...maybe it's not too late to earn some last-minute some brownie points....um, I'm going to go spread some Holiday Cheer! May you get everything you hope for this season! Ho, ho, ho!

No comments: