Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My resolve is wavering...

Buckle up, amigos, it's that time again...we're putting 2010 in our rearview mirrors and preparing to zoom off into a brand new year. And you know what that means: more parties and food! Wait, that wasn't it...oh, yeah: Resolutions! (I should have mentioned this right from the get-go, but here's the disclaimer for this post: I am pretty hopped up on Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero right now, so this may be a little loopy...er than normal).

Now, I've always thought that January was a terrible time to "resolve" to do anything--except maybe "to buy more cute fleecy tops", or "to drink more hot chocolate". It's dark, it's freezing, and I don't know about you guys, but my Willpower is about as strong as an uncharged battery right now. Sure, I know what I ought to pledge...to eat fewer sweets (but the promise of chocolate is pretty much what gets me out of bed in the Winter months); to drink less soda (but my energy has to come from somewhere, until I can get back outside in the Spring and draw on the healing warmth of the sun--refer to the aforementioned caffeine rant for proof), to save more money (but adorable fuzzy sweaters aren't cheap!).

Furthermore, I can't try to master a new skill right now, because my brain feels cold, slow, and sluggish. It's impossible to fight any diet or exercise battles, since I'm stuck inside listening to the Siren Call of the Cookies. There's no way I could work on cultivating a calmer, more patient demeanor...as my sons are also trapped inside with me, tearing around the house, shrieking like Banshees, pummeling each other, WRECKING my meditation-- or whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing @#$% serenely. Therefore, I've reached the incontrovertible conclusion that the act of making New Year's Resolutions is:  A) a waste of time and effort; B) a one-way ticket to Guiltsville, by way of Failuretown; and C) yet another reason to be grumpy in January. And who needs that kind of negativity and pressure, when you can grab another cookie, dip it into your mug of cocoa, and snuggle up in a wooly blanket until...April or so? Now to find some trashy TV, and settle in for the long haul. Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: