Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Veggie Tales

I realized as I turned the calendar to April (that is, right after I paused to do a little happy dance celebrating the end of cold, damp March) that I'm approaching an Anniversary of sorts. It was 3 years ago this month that I finally committed to Vegetarian eating. It was somewhat gradual, since I'd been cutting down on meat for a while, leading up to the Big Change...but I clearly remember April as the month I made it publicly known that from then on, cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys would have nothing to fear from me (except in the supermarket, when I purchase meat for the Male Carnivores in my house, but shhh...no need to bring that up!)

When I look back to 2008, I recall bouncing through some Potholes at the start of my Meatless Journey. Suddenly there was quite a bit of explaining to do, when the boys and I joined friends for meals in their homes. People I've known for a long time had to adjust to the fact that I now wouldn't be sharing the steak, or pork chops, or chicken parmesan they would be preparing for everyone else. The last thing I ever wanted to do was be a difficult or demanding guest, but at times some delicate negotiation was necessary to ensure that I could avoid starving, but still remain meat-free. (And honestly, I'm pretty easy to please--give me the veggie and carb side dishes, and I'm a happy, well-fed camper!) Ironically, the most challenging dinner situation occurred when visiting my mom's house. You see, I grew up in a standard meat/potato/vegetable household, and my mother--who after all has been feeding me for decades--continued right on cooking the time-honored favorites that everyone loves...corned beef and cabbage...kielbasa and pork...hamburgers and hotdogs (even the salad has bacon bits!). After one memorable extended-family gathering in which I made myself a cheese sandwich in order to have something on my plate, we all learned to discuss the menu beforehand and plan accordingly!

Other issues have cropped up along the way, of course. For instance, I set off on my Vegetarian Route as a Flexible-Non-Meat-Eater. That is, although I had given up consuming legged-critters, I hadn't lost my taste for fish or shrimp or crab. I used to explain it: "Land creatures, NO; sea creatures, YES!" I wasn't too overly picky about reading labels on packaged items, either. For example, if a product contained "chicken broth", so be it. If the potatoes happened to cook in the same pot as the pot roast, c'est la vie. However, as on any life-changing trip, there are inevitable Detours along the way. I've found that I'm becoming a stricter to-the-letter Veggie Person the longer I spend in Vegetarian World. I've lost my taste for salmon (previously a favorite), and I suspect that shrimp and crab are not far behind. (Somehow I still enjoy canned tuna--go figure.) I now peruse the tiny print on cans to make sure I'm not being slipped any sneaky, hidden chicken stock. (Heck, I won't even take GELCAPS anymore, since gelatin itself isn't vegetarian...and is concocted with all kinds of animal parts you don't even want to know about...trust me!) Best of all: my dear, sweet mother--without even being asked--separates my veggies into their own pan on the stove, and mixes my stuffing away from the turkey at Thanksgiving, to avoid contamination with animal fat and...stuff.

And of course, there's always the juggling associated with being the Head Chef in a kitchen that serves a horde (in reality, only 3, but I swear they chow down like a huge, ravenous mob) of meat-lovers. Husband and I have an implicit understanding: I will throw fish sticks or breaded chicken patties in the oven, but if it's a raw, slimy piece of animal flesh, HE is responsible for handling and grilling it. I don't harbor any delusions about the boys in my life joining me in the Veg Club...although Riley is on a salad kick, currently...and he's the only one besides me who will tolerate tofu (covered in peanut sauce, but still!). Maybe there's hope for him yet! Derek, on the other hand, when asked what he'd prefer in his salad last night (expected answer: cucumbers, mushrooms, carrots), instantly replied "Ham, turkey, bacon...and crunchy little meat croutons!" (He was kidding...I think!) And honestly, the face he makes when I bring home a rotisserie chicken from Costco for dinner--that boy is one blissful Carnivore. Come to think of it, both of my sons have been known to CHEER about...Meatloaf Night. Sigh.

So, I've come a long way in my travels toward Vegetarian Nirvana...but I would say it definitely remains a Road Under Construction!

No comments: