Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It was nice while it lasted...

Every year, Husband makes a pilgrimage to South Carolina with Derek and Riley in tow, to visit his parents (also known as the boys' Paternal Grandparents). It has become an Annual Male Bonding Trip, a special time for the Westman Men to enjoy each others' company while frolicking at the beach and being spoiled rotten by my In-Laws. My supporting role in the entire affair is very limited (Husband even arranges the travel plans...and packs! Heavenly!) and ends when I lovingly hug and kiss them all, wave them goodbye at the curb, and promise to miss them at least a little bit while they're away. You see, unlike Husband--who when given a choice, prefers to be with people most of the time--I have recurring desire for peace and quiet, to be left alone for a while (I think of it as a metaphor: Husband wants to belong to a Pack; I'm more of a Lone Wolf...) It's not that I don't like people; I can be quite social. But my Interactive Batteries definitely wear down, and require recharging. Friends always ask me, "What are you going to do with yourself while your family is gone?" They seem to be on the verge of expressing sympathy, as though they regard my time alone as punishment. (rather than the precious gift it actually is!) This year, the guys decided to make it a 6-day Southern Stay, so my answer to the usual query required a little more thought and decision-making. After all, how DOES one fill the plethora of free time, in the absence of a daily agenda of laundering, and meal-preparing, and tidying, and errand-running, and appointment-keeping?

Well, here's what I "got away with" while no one was around to monitor my behavior: I ate popcorn for dinner one night, without worrying about setting a good example for growing boys. I watched TV (in the middle of the day, very decadent) that was decidedly NOT appropriate for young eyes and ears. I treated myself to dessert, even if I hadn't even so much as touched a vegetable with my meal. I stayed up too late reading, and slept-in the next day. As if those little rebellious acts weren't altogether more fun than one person should be allowed to have, (I'm fairly easy to please, can you tell?) I also took a long, leisurely bike ride; attended a birthday Happy Hour for my sister (conversation with adults! and fruity beverages! I also don't get out much, obviously); checked off another Historical Must-See (Monticello); and viewed a movie entirely of my own choosing (oddly enough, rather than seizing this Golden Opportunity to watch a Chick Flick without any Spousal Whining...I went with: The A-Team. Yep, just me and Bradley Cooper...and lots of stuff blowing up!)

Okay, I admit I did have to attend to a few regular chores, (laundry--yes, I wore clothes even when no one was around to see me...grocery store--a girl's gotta eat, as I think I've made abundantly clear...washing a few dishes...) and suddenly, seemingly in the blink of an eye, my Solo Stint was over and it was time for the Male Posse to return to the fold. Like any good homecoming, it was joyful and exciting. Everyone was happy to see each other, there were stories to tell and pictures to show, and most importantly, having accomplished the necessary howling while on my own, Mom Wolf was re-energized and ready to rejoin the Pack once more. Somehow I'll have to make sure it's not another whole year before I manage to work in a junk-food dinner, adult beverage...and (cinematic) date with Bradley Cooper again!

No comments: