Sunday, June 26, 2011

Oh I wish I was in Dixie (oh wait, I AM!)

Have you heard the old saying, "While the boys are away, the Lady of the House will play?" (No? Well, I might have coined it myself...just now.) What it means in this case is: I so thoroughly enjoyed myself last year on my Night Away From Home that I decided to make it an annual tradition. So what did I come up with for my 2nd Annual Solo Overnight? Well, since I seem to be well on my way to a Historical Trend here anyway, I decided to visit my third Dead Patriot's house for this calendar year. (Yeah, I do love me some...men in wigs...) This time I was calling on Thomas Jefferson's colonial masterpiece, Monticello, which presides over a sprawling plantation in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Charlottesville, Virginia. Logistically, this translated into a 2-1/2 hour drive south for me--deep into Confederate Country. In order to cultivate the proper frame of mind before venturing into Dixie, I drank some sweet tea (okay, it was from Starbucks, but it counts, right?), ate some grits (well, I would have, but I don't think they even sell them North of the Mason Dixon Line...and if they do, I have NO IDEA how to prepare them anyway), practiced my "hey, y'all" (my mother's family is from Kentucky, so this one comes naturally), and donned a hoop skirt (sorry, now I'm just making stuff up).

Anyway, after a pleasantly scenic drive through lush green countryside, I arrived in Middle-of-Nowhere, Virginia, home of our much-revered third President. And I must say, each time I've explored these National Historical Monuments, I've come away with an appreciation for the wealth and architecture of the structures themselves, but an absolute AWE for the brilliant men who resided there. Jefferson is no exception. We are all familiar with one of his most famous achievements--that modest little document known as the Declaration of Independence. (You know the one...that introduced the radical, heretofore unimagined concept of "rights for all men" and an "elected government"...oh, and that famous trio "Life, Liberty, and the Purfuit of Happinefs"...I swear the Founding Fathers were geniuses, but they seriously needed to break free of Mother England's ridiculous spelling rules.) However, I didn't realize TJ was only 33 years old when he penned it. Among his other skills: he was an accomplished violinist, a self-taught architect, and a voracious reader who could decode books in 7 different languages. He also presented a bit of a conundrum, as he spoke against slavery, calling it an "abominable crime", yet owned slaves himself to help run his enormous estate. According to our Tour Guide, Jefferson wrote abolitionist language into the original Declaration of Independence, but had to remove it when too many states refused to sign it as presented.

Having absorbed a headful of information about the Man behind the Myth, and having strolled through his charming flower and vegetable gardens, I prepared to take my leave of the altogether impressive Monticello. But wait! There's more! No one bothered to mention this during my hours at the Jefferson's homestead...but his close friend, the 5th Leader of the young United States, lived only 2 miles away. Yes, James Monroe, hereafter to be referred to as the Bonus Deceased President! (That would be Number 4, for all of you keeping score...or is that just me?) Confession: I was tired of walking and weary of listening to History Class by this time of the late-afternoon, so I didn't give Mr. Monroe the same attention I'd lavished on Tom. Here's what I picked up before my brain completely shut down for the day: JM held more offices than any other statesman before or since (Senator, Ambassador, Governor, Secretary of State, Secretary of War, and President); he orchestrated the Louisiana Purchase for then-President Jefferson by negotiating with Napoleon Bonaparte; (and scored that huge parcel of land for roughly 3-1/2 cents an acre!) and during his own time in office, he sent Lewis and Clark on their legendary expedition to explore the new American West. At this point, our loquacious Tour Guide seemed like she could go on all day, so when her back was turned, I slipped out and made a break for my car--shhh! it's our little secret!

So once again I was able to explore a new-to-me Famous Place and indulge my Dorky History Habit, all while partaking of abundant fresh air and exercise...oh, and I filed away facts and stories to bore--I mean thrill and entertain--my family when they return from South Carolina. I guess all I need now to complete my Southern Adventure...is a big bowl of grits for breakfast!

No comments: