Friday, June 24, 2011

A Pedal in the Park

When I used to live in Bethesda (or, referring to it in the local vernacular, as we Marylanders like to do: The High Rent District...which also explains why I don't live there anymore...but I digress) I would routinely hop on my bike and ride a gorgeous, paved, shady bike route all the way to Georgetown. It's a converted Rail Trail, which means it's smooth and fairly level, with no steep grades that would have hindered a freight train back in the day. The topography of this particular area is such that it happens to slope ever so gently downhill from the Maryland side toward the Potomac River...and then uphill on the way back (more on that later). Although my bike still gets plenty of use each Summer, I hadn't ridden this particular path since Husband and I moved to Olney...in 1999. So with the boys on their annual South Carolina Sojourn, I decided to revisit my old stomping (um, pedaling) grounds.

I carefully prepped myself for my woodsy outing--packing sunscreen, bug-repellent bracelet, Clif bar, and several bottles of water. Then I ate a healthy, fortifying breakfast of yogurt, walnuts, and a banana...for my half-hour drive to Bethesda (but I had tons of energy for that grueling commute, I tell ya!) When I arrived at the parking lot where the trail begins, I took a deep breath, pointed my wheels South, and rolled onto the peaceful, tree-lined path. The patchy sunlight warmed me, the delicate breeze tickled my skin...the water I so diligently drank to pre-hydrate myself before my workout made me feel an urgent need to pee already (more on that later, as well...I know you're holding your breath for this one). Along the 6 miles down to D.C., I passed casual strollers, families with strollers, power-walkers, one senior-citizen using a walker (I gave a silent "You go, Granny" cheer for her as I rode by). I saw plenty of well-behaved dogs, a number of wild-strawberry-pickers (to clarify: the fruit was wild, the people appeared quite tame), and a few determined runners. Then there were the Serious Bikers in their official form-fitting jerseys and padded shorts, Power Bars tucked into their pockets, hunched over their handlebars and speeding by as if they were late for a Lunch Meeting with Lance Armstrong himself. (I gave them a wide berth--they scare me!)

Much faster than I expected, I crossed over into the District and spied the Washington Monument, presiding elegantly over the Potomac River and the Georgetown skyline. I was pleased with myself, I was invigorated, I was barely breathing hard or sweating very much...I still had to turn around and haul myself 6 miles back in the other direction. I mentioned already that the return trip is ever-so-slightly uphill, right? There are no discernible elevation changes, but your calves...and hamstrings...and glutes will keep you informed in no uncertain terms that the real pedaling work is coming. Also, did I happen to note that I had to pee? Since Bethesda? Memo to the Park Service--LOVE what you've done with the trail; it's stunning, really, clean and well-maintained...now if it wouldn't trouble you too much, we exercisers of the Female Persuasion would just adore having a Porta-Potty anywhere along the length of the path. Thanks. (And yes, I did what had to be done in such an emergency: peed in the woods. Quite competently, I might add. My children would be so proud. Or horrified, not sure which.) Having taken care of...business, I encouraged my tired legs to get a move on, and doggedly plowed back toward Maryland. Those last few miles were...taxing, but it did feel awesome to finish! Especially when I wheeled my bike back to the car and saw that I had almost an hour-and-a-half left on my meter--can you say LUNCH?

All-in-all, it was a completely satisfying day...but check with me tomorrow to see if I can still walk!

No comments: