Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Balanced Nutrition for the Lazy Chef

I know this is going to come as a tremendous shock to everyone, but today I'm going to write about FOOD...again! (Jeez, you'd think it was one of my absolute favorite things on the planet, or something!) Now, we all know I strive to be pretty health-conscious, and to make good choices when it comes to my family's diet. (Yes, I'm the one standing in your way in the grocery store, reading the fine print on each and every label, scanning for the word "hydrogenated" (a deal breaker) and the amount of fiber (important, but negotiable). However, given the fact that I consider cooking, shall we say, a Necessary Evil, at best, I encounter some difficult challenges when faced with the dilemma of how to feed a houseful of hungry males--without working too hard at it.

So how do I resolve the conflict of preparing tasty, nutritious...simple...meals that meet my requirements but also satisfy the large-and-small boys? (Drumroll, please) I CHEAT! That's right, you heard me. I load the freezer up with fish sticks and breaded chicken patties and microwaveable cheeseburgers and prepared ravioli, and when things are crazy (hello, soccer-practice-nights) I pull something out. A few minutes of toaster-oven-baking or nuking or boiling, and I can present hot food to empty bellies. Somewhere deep down in the Domestic Goddess area of my brain, do I experience the teensiest bit of guilt about this? He...ck, no! Of course, I still ensure that the convenience foods I choose are as minimally-processed and naturally-derived as possible. (Yeah, that's also me, blocking the freezer compartment at Costco, shivering and skimming ingredient lists...Sorry.) But after that, I plop it on the table and don't look back. Even when I allow the occasional...hotdog (gasp! I know, nitrites are horrible! But you wanna know what's even worse? TOFU dogs! Take it from me, even the confirmed vegetarian can't go there...) I refuse to agonize about it. I figure as long as I serve green beans or broccoli with it, the veggie-vitamins cancel out the meat by-products. (That is how it works, right? Just humor me!)

I don't mean to sound as though I never bother to make a home-cooked dinner from scratch, because in between sports seasons, when things aren't quite so hectic, I pull out the recipe books and exert (a little) effort from time to time. And I suspect that Fall soccer is reaching its end not a moment too soon for our cuisine-deprived family. Example: the other night Derek was sleeping over at a friend's house and Riley got to decide what he wanted for dinner. ("Anything you want, honey, check the cabinets", I generously offered, expecting him to select cereal or a sandwich and chips or, if he was feeling especially wild, pancakes.) His eyes lit up, and without even pausing to weigh his options, he instantly exclaimed: "Ramen noodles!" Oh. My. Goodness. What have I done? I'll tell you what: I've inadvertently gone and created the world's shortest...college student. Sigh. What can I say--at least he selected something cheap, fast, and easy (and not McDonald's)! On a further positive note, as his mother, I can rest assured that when I send him off to a university somewhere in 10 years, he'll already possess the valuable knowledge of how to feed himself in his dorm room when necessary during those long, late...study sessions. (I know I'm being delusional, but keep working with me, will ya?) So really, my work here is done! In fact, I may even deserve a reward for a job well done...hmm, now where did I hide that leftover Halloween candy...

No comments: