Monday, August 20, 2012

The Last Word on Mexico

Well, we've been re-patriated, having returned safely to the U.S. after our wonderful Mexican holiday. Yesterday's travel, however, was considerably less smooth and simple than our departure, owing mostly to the nightmare that is Cancun Airport. We arrived 2 hours ahead of our flight time, like the obedient and organized travelers that we try to be. Good thing, too, as the check-in line stretched from the counters, through several twists of roped-off lanes...almost back out the door to the curb. Dios mio! We trudged to the end of the queue and began waiting...and continued idling...and--well, you get the picture. The nice couple who had shared our shuttle ride from the resort were parked right in front of us, so at least we had friendly folks to commiserate and chat with while we monitored the clock and slowly began to worry.

Sooooo....after an hour had passed and we weren't even close to the desk, a harried Airport Official rushed over and began herding Baltimore-bound passengers to a different spot, where they'd suddenly scrounged up an additional employee, dedicated solely to registering us and shooing us onto our plane. (Which begs the question: why couldn't they have figured this out a little earlier? Late passengers = delayed takeoff...it's not rocket--or even aeronautic--science, people!) Then when we did finally come face to face with an airline agent, we were slowed yet again by some sort of glitch with Derek's passport. Another 10 minutes or so to stand by while the computer decided he wasn't some 12-year old...Potential Security Threat...or something...and we hustled to toward the terminal at the exact time that they began boarding our flight.

But we weren't in the clear just yet...did we know which gate? Of course not! This information was not revealed to us when checking in, as it was still "to be determined"? Really? When do you suppose would be a good time to decide? I'd suggest "now-ish". Luckily we passed our new fellow Baltimorean friends again on the way, and they let us in on the super-secret Gate Location. So yeah, consider me thoroughly unimpressed with el aeropuerto de Cancun. Adios! (Oh, and lest I forget to mention it--for our patience and perseverance, how were we rewarded? With a shrieking BANSHEE of a child 2 rows behind us on the plane. Ay yi yi.)

Obviously, this would have to count as one of the very few negatives of our vacation, among so many, many pleasant memories. Then I started pondering--I wonder what the kids, having now experienced a foreign country for the first time, think about their trip (if you don't count Canada, which--while a lovely place to visit--somehow seems...I don't know, too similar to us to warrant consideration in this case). So I interviewed them over breakfast this morning, and here are the results, straight from the mouths of my little International Explorers:
Riley--Didn't like: "not being able to communicate". Liked: the plants and animals we don't get to see around here, like palm trees, coatimundis, and iguanas.
Derek--Didn't enjoy: the Marketplace, with "people trying so hard to sell you stuff!" (I will add that he frequently complained about hearing too much "Mexican pop music" while we were there, and would come back to our room to clear his head with some AC/DC on his iPod.) Enjoyed: the activities we can't do at home, like snorkeling and jumping off the platform into the lagoon.

As for me, unlike Derek, I already miss being greeted 75 times a day by a cheery "Hola!", and being able to conduct conversations in Spanish desde la manana a la noche. (I even asked Derek if he'd mind me addressing him in Spanish first, then translating to English right after, since I got so used to doing it this way during the week that it became second nature. He agreed that as long as I didn't forget the all-important "Ingles" part, he'd be okay with it. Bueno!) I also loved eating fresh pineapple and guacamole at least once a day. Mmmm... However, I won't be sorry at all to say hasta la vista to the stifling humidity, or the sweating that accompanies it. (And I considered D.C. to be sticky in the Summer!) Finally, while I adore the beach, I was beginning to think of myself as Our Lady of the Perpetually Sandy Feet, so--free pedicure aside--I'm happy to be grit-less at last.

As we shared our family reminiscing this morning, Riley interrupted to say, "I was going to ask for another bagel...then I remembered it's not all-you-can-eat!" Sigh. That's right, buddy. You're back to the No-Frills Cafe de Mom. But then he brightened as he watched me stir Quik into his glass of milk and remarked, "Oh, you're making leche chocolate!" Hey, there's an idea--sure, 'home' doesn't have all the amenities of an all-inclusive resort, but if we speak Spanish, maybe we can keep the vibe going? Si, vamos!

No comments: