Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Meditating on yoga...



While I wouldn't call myself an exercise junkie by any means, I do find that regular activity helps me remain on an even-keel, both physically and emotionally. (Stop laughing! And imagine how unstable I’d be if I didn't work out!). But I'm also someone who craves change and loathes repetition--okay, I mean "easily bored". So I run. And walk. And take dance class. And bike. And lift weights. Confession: I do all of this because of one basic truth--I love to eat. Oh, and of course I don't want to get weak and soft and flabby as the years pass. One thing that has become apparent to me as I age (not so much gracefully as…defiantly…) is a steady decline in flexibility. Granted, I was never one to blithely twist myself into a pretzel shape or casually sink into a full split, or anything like that...but I’ve noticed for a while now that my hips, especially, have progressively tightened up. Honestly, this hasn't caused me much pain, or impacted my range of motion or functional day-to-day tasks…that is, until I joined my new Jazz class. Suddenly I wanted to do high kicks and plies and nose-to-knee stretches, and it just Was. Not. Happening.

When I mentioned this to my massage therapist (you know, hoping she'd say, "oh, wait a minute, I can fix that right up for you") she paused for only a millisecond before advising, "Well, get back to a yoga class!" D-U-H! (She didn't actually add that last part, or even imply it, as she's far too kind and caring. But I felt like an imbecile nonetheless for not thinking of it myself.) I used to take yoga when I belonged to the local gym; then for a while I practiced myself in my basement on occasion. But as time slipped by, I'd gotten away from it somehow--and she was unequivocally right: boy, did I need it! So I found a nearby class that miraculously fit into my day off, changed into some downward-dog-friendly pants, grabbed my trusty mat, and set off to give it a try.

Keep in mind, the only formal class I'd ever attended with any consistency was called Power Yoga, and took place at a fitness establishment, not a Studio. So I was used to a swiftly-moving, muscle-focused lesson, where the goal fell more on the "raise your heart rate/tone your bod" side of the spectrum, rather than the "follow your body's cues/flow with your breath" end. My preconceived notions (which I didn't even realize I HAD, until I arrived) were shattered the moment I lowered myself to the floor...and the instructor began...affirmating? She started by reminding us of our purpose for the day, which was apparently to cultivate openness and gratitude. Hey, I'm totally down with that! Bring it on! But as she read relevant passages from a book to reinforce the message, and talked about "accessing the backs of our bodies" I kind of lost the thread. Um...I don't really understand how to achieve that. I mean, it all sounded nice...but it just wasn't sinking in for me, you know? And as we sat...and sat...oh, and "centered"...I found myself thinking "Alrighty, I'm good. Can we move now? Wait, there's more? Tick tock!" NOT the preferred yoga consciousness you're aiming for, to be sure. (As for ‘centering’, I’m pretty certain I still don’t know what that means…unless I was supposed to be in the middle of my mat…which I was! I checked! I had a few free seconds while everyone else was apparently busy tuning into their ‘backside’, or whatever…)

But please don’t think I’m making fun of the teacher, or what she was trying to accomplish…it was clearly a case of “it’s not you, it’s me”…as in “I recognize the truth of what you’re saying, I’m just having trouble getting in touch with my inner…self-awareness”…or something. And then, just when I was about to get uncontrollably fidgety, she suggested we lead off with a few “oms”. Uh oh. Everyone around me filled their lungs and intoned the syllable, as if they were creating the sound from the very depths of their diaphragms. The room practically vibrated with their sincerity. And all I could think, as I sat there silently, was “ohhhhhmmm, mmmmy goodness, I am sooooooo not a chanter!” Fortunately, after those few awkward (probably only for me) moments, we got around to the business of taking poses.

While the subsequent physical portion of our practice wasn’t quite as…strenuously paced…as I’m used to, it definitely challenged both my strength and balance, which felt wonderful. (And incidentally, my hip joints did indeed cooperate much better after my hour-plus of bending and contorting.) I absolutely believe that it would be beneficial for me to continue attending class…I might just need to test out a few different varieties until I find one that…resonates…with me. Hmm, could it be I’m just not as crunchy granola as I thought? Well, I can try to improve that, right? Until then, I’ll work on bringing more patience to the mat, clearing out my brain clutter, and yes, “going with the flow.”
Namaste! 

No comments: