Sunday, December 3, 2017

Because ya gotta have goals...

The Team WestEnders 2017 slate of 5Ks  officially concluded this afternoon--with the only event that  all four of us actually managed to attend together this year, incidentally! As our resident Race Coordinator (a title that I've just now arbitrarily bestowed upon myself...and which I also decree totally deserves a cute new pair of workout shoes, yeah? You know, for all the...Runner....Wrangling service I provide...or what have you...) I selected 7 from our area--Husband and Derek each participated in 2, Riley managed 3...and of course I did the whole kit and caboodle (knee crankiness, cortisone injections, and physical therapy notwithstanding...). So, here's how it broke down:

The activities kicked off in February, with the Run for the Roses in Raleigh. Some members of the outdoor bootcamp group I belong to have made this an annual tradition, so I went along to see what it was like. I usually opt to stick closer to home, to reduce the amount of "crawling out of bed at the crack of dawn...ish...and driving somewhere...to RUN", but since this one always happens in the...let's call it "Quasi-Winter"...the start time is set for afternoon, presumably to allow it to heat up to a comfortable temperature after the overnight low. This year, however, race day weather was freakishly warm--we're talking 80*, out of the blue--which made for a difficult slog...on what I also discovered was a very hilly course. Long story short: not my fave, but it was kind of exciting to be able to do a 5K so early in the new year.

Next up: the 5K for Education, which Riley and I have now done 3 times together, since moving to Chapel Hill. In fact, when I asked the fam if anyone else wanted to join us...and they declined...Riley replied, "It's kind of 'our thing', Mom." Well, alrighty, then! It was a damp, chilly morning in March, but regardless of what's going on in the atmosphere, we enjoy the route, because it's one of those that begins and ends on UNC's campus, and winds its way through the town of Chapel Hill a little bit as well. (So it does have some elevation to deal with...but at least it's also scenic...)

In May, the kids and I repeated our showing in the DNA Day 5K, another run that winds its way in and around UNC...and includes shirts that boldly proclaim on the back, above the sponsors "Run for Science!" Now I ask you, who wouldn't love that kind of...nerdy swag? It wasn't much of a surprise when the zippy Riley finished in the top 3 for his age group, and was awarded a medal, along with a cool commemorative glass. Although as we were standing around congratulating him, it WAS a shock to hear my own name called, for the...ahem...let's say "middle-aged ladies" category. As I retrieved my set of prizes, I couldn't help but think, "There must not have been any other women my age running this time!" (Didn't stop me from making off with the goods, though!)

Then, when looking around online for the next race opportunity, I stumbled across a new one happening in June, called...the VegFest 5K. Obviously, there was no question whatsoever that I NEEDED to take part in a run that celebrated fresh produce in the title. What was unusual is that Husband readily agreed to sign on with me. The boys...not so much. I believe I got as far as "Veg..." before Derek brusquely cut me off by loudly proclaiming his boycott of anything having to do with "running for vegetables". If I remember correctly, the word "hippie" was used disparagingly to describe the activity as well. Whatever--Husband and I thought it was a cute concept...unfortunately, the event's maiden voyage, if you will, wasn't terribly well-organized or executed, so we're reserving judgment on whether we'll give it another chance next year.

During the height of Summer there came a long lull for us, as nothing really matched our schedule, location, or length preferences. Which brings us to a couple of races that I ended up doing solo--well, me and hundreds of other outdoor enthusiasts, I mean. The Fall version of the Blue Blood Rivalry Run gathers folks who support UNC...or the D-school...and sends them out to compete against each other on foot, the same day the football teams clash on the field. It makes for a lively, good-natured environment, on a path that turned out to be uncharacteristically gentle and easy, for Chapel Hill. (Yay!) Then on Thanksgiving I decided to switch from the 8K I've done the past 2 years in Carrboro, to a shorter turkey trot in Durham. Aaaannnd, even though it was quite a chilly endeavor, the route proved to be another relatively flat--and therefore fast--undertaking.

That, of course, brings us to today's Grand Finale: the 2nd occurrence of the Positive Impact for Kids 5K, which benefits Duke's and  UNC's children's hospitals, through a charity founded by a local High School student. It was another afternoon affair, at a familiar park, and we'd all done it last year, so it seemed an excellent way for us to tie a festive bow on the 2017 race season...with vigorous exercise...and family bonding...and whatnot. In truth, while Riley immediately agreed to the plan, Derek's response was something more along the lines of, "Ugh. You're gonna MAKE me run, aren't you? Do I even have a choice?" (Hmm, let me think about that...why no, you don't! So may I politely request that you get out there and jog a couple of times, to at least pretend you trained, before you show up your parents with the effortless stamina and speed of youth? Thanks...) Then Riley's soccer coach went and did something crazy, like coordinate a scrimmage with another club...for the same day. Yet the 14 year-old with boundless energy shrugged and said, "Eh, it's fine. I should still be able to do it after my game."

And you know what? Not only did he run it...he finished 3rd overall, 2nd in the Male division. (That's after 80 minutes of sprinting and kicking and...stuff. Seriously, it's exhausting to me just imagining it...) For his efforts--and because I insisted we stay for the awards part, when the impatient teenagers wanted to rush home, plop down in front of the TV, and start watching football--he was presented with a nifty pair of athletic socks...and a $25 gift certificate to Fleet Feet. (SEE? Mother. Knows. Best!) Derek and Husband naturally came in waaaaayyy ahead of me, but I had nothing to complain about--even though I felt like I was chugging up the inclines, having advance knowledge of the surroundings apparently helped, as I was able to record a PR for this particular trail.

And with that, my friends, we're gonna call this....the final (racing) Win of 2017. Now it's time for a well-earned hiatus...for researching the next group of challenges we'd like to try in 2018. But for a while, the only thing we're going to be hustling for...is the holiday cookies! Mmmmm.....

No comments: