Sunday, November 18, 2018

A little Life Training...

So, Derek's been doing this whole college thing for a couple of months now, and we've settled into a routine where we have a nice, long talk on Sunday afternoons. Which is why it set off all kinds of parental alarm bells when he texted me mid-week to ask if either Husband or I was available for a chat. It turns out that he was feeling pretty under-the-weather--for the first time since he's been living at school--and wanted advice on how to deal with it.

Naturally, my first thought was something along the lines of, "Oh, poor baby!" And I'm not ashamed to tell you my second was "I wish you were closer, so I could come take care of you!" (What can I say? He's a full-grown adult who towers over me....but that doesn't mean I'm not still his Mom...speaking of which, my third thought was probably "Yay--you called your mother!") But I managed to contain myself to simply expressing sympathy for his plight, and then I got down to the business of cataloging his symptoms so I could try to provide some long-distance guidance.

Given what he was experiencing, there were several maladies that we couldn't rule out over the phone--including strep and the flu. Therefore I confirmed what he'd been thinking for himself, which was that the situation warranted his inaugural visit to the Student Health Center on campus. I told him that they'd be able to diagnose exactly what was ailing him and tell him what to do about it, with the added bonus that they'd also probably give him some kind of official doctor's note to excuse any missed classes and show his teachers he's not just blowing them off before the Thanksgiving break.

In the meantime, since he was feeling too nauseous to eat (which in itself is extraordinarily rare for my food-loving son), I counseled him to try ginger ale to settle his stomach (perhaps an Old Wive's Tale, but possibly providing a bit of a worthwhile placebo effect if he believes it might work). In the event that he felt brave enough to attempt any nutrition and/or medication, I suggested he stick with something bland, like pretzels, extra-hydrating, such as Gatorade (both of which he happens to have on hand in his dorm room) and pain-relieving, in the form of Ibuprofen, just to get him through the night until he was able to meet with an actual medical professional for the real lowdown.

Then, to cover all the bases--and because as I said, this represented new territory for him--I reminded him to email any of his professors whose classes he couldn't make it to, to give them the heads-up that he'd be absent. (You know, the "responsible, adulting thing to do"...) He admitted he was already thinking about this, since he has multiple tests, and a ton of things due before he comes home next week, and was wondering if he'd have to ask for any extensions on assignments. (Good job, buddy!)

With all of those topics covered, there didn't seem to be anything else I could do from afar, so we signed off with the understanding that he'd check in the next day and let me know how his field trip to the Health Center had gone. Just about the time I was starting to get antsy for some news, he came through with a text that said he fortunately didn't have strep, but rather a more run-of-the-mill viral infection. He added that his condition had slightly improved, but the doctor who examined him reinforced the message that he shouldn't bring his germs to class for a day or two, to avoid sharing them with his fellow coeds.

Alrighty, then--that sounded like solid intel and a viable plan to me! He further communicated with Husband the following day that, in response to missing 24-hours' worth of meals...he'd consumed an entire pizza once the stomach upset portion of the excitement passed. (Yep...that's my kid...clearly on the mend...) I have to say, it was a relief to hear that it hadn't turned out to be anything serious, and that he'd bounced back pretty quickly. So I think all-in-all he got off remarkably easy for his initial away-from-home illness. (Knocking wood, throwing salt, crossing fingers--and any other good luck rituals you can think of to add, please go right ahead! It takes a village, y'all...)

And now it's only TWO MORE DAYS until he--hopefully bug-free by that point--comes home for some rest, family meals, and general TLC. Now that's certainly something to give me a head start on the gratitude agenda, yeah? Yippeeee!

No comments: