Friday, November 23, 2018

I finally made it to the room where it happens!

For as long as I can remember, I've been a huge fan of musicals. If I had to guess (since it was a loooong time ago), it probably started when my mom introduced me to The Sound of Music when I was a kid. Her favorites also included Grease (the original play, pre-Newton-John/Travolta movie) and A Chorus Line...both of which she staunchly refused to let me hear until I was older. (And I understood her reasoning, once I was allowed to hear some of the lyrics!) Basically, I grew up listening to and singing along with all kinds of soundtracks--Pippin in high school...the whole dang catalog of Disney classics like Aladdin, Lion King, and Little Mermaid...and as an adult, Rent, which I actually saw performed live, twice.
So it's a little bit surprising to me that I was slow to catch on when the Hamilton mania struck. I mean, it took me a minute to figure out what the uproar was about...but then I downloaded the Broadway recording and absorbed it for the first time from start to finish...and the world turned upside down. (Sorry, I was helpless to resist...but I'll try not to make it non-stop...aaarrrgh! Okay, I'm done now. Possibly. Yeah, who're we trying to kid? I make no promises...)

Yep, with one run-through, I was right the heck on that bandwagon, folks. I proceeded to repeat it often enough to memorize large portions of the songs--with that came a wistful longing to experience the phenomenon on stage. But given its monumental popularity (and cost) I figured that was nothing but a pipe dream. New York was obviously out of the question, due to distance, competition for available seats, and the aforementioned dollar signs. However, as time passed, I began to dream--just a smidgen--of catching it somewhere else, perhaps a major city within driving range.

Then one evening I was casually scrolling through Facebook, like you do, when a gigantic ad appeared in my feed, with the by-now-instantly-recognizable logo and the galvanizing message: Hamilton at DPAC! Well, it certainly got my attention; in fact, my heart felt like it skipped a beat...but I was already tempering my enthusiasm even as I clicked on it. "Don't get too excited," I told myself, "There probably aren't even any tickets left, or they'll be way above your comfortable price point." Yet even the voice of reason couldn't completely squash the glimmer of hope burgeoning inside me when I began exploring the site.

Aaaannnnd....miracle of miracles, I found something I could justify paying for without TOO much guilt. (And let me just say: in this case it's extremely fortunate that the Male Trio doesn't share my passion for the theater, since I would have struggled quite a bit more if I had to spring for four passes. Sometimes acting as a Party of One is super-beneficial!) After I entered the credit card information and received my confirmation and instructions, I sat there for a moment with my mouth hanging open...somewhat flabbergasted. I'd really done it...this was happening at long last!

Better yet, the date for my chosen show was only a week away, so I didn't have to manage the anticipation for too much longer. On the big day, heeding the DPAC's dire warnings about traffic and parking and all kinds of other nonsense that could slow you down and make you late, I left the house with more than 90 minutes to spare. (I was determined not to miss a single note of this masterpiece, y'all...) Ahem....and I pulled into our preferred garage for when we visit the Bulls' stadium next door...in approximately a half-hour. Eh, I'd rather be bored for a while than stressed-out, so this worked out just fine.

Finally, it was time to enter the auditorium and get settled...at which point my jaw dropped yet again, as I realized the view from my expensive seat (center section, about 20 rows back from the stage) was going to be absolutely amazing. Sure enough, when the lights dimmed, the orchestra launched into the first stirring notes, and the actors burst into view...it literally took my breath away--and brought tears to my eyes, I'm not gonna lie. It was that powerful.

And I'm overjoyed to report that neither the intensity nor the quality of the production dimmed even the slightest bit from there. The history, the politics, the romance, the wheeling and dealing, the messy conflict that led to the challenging birth of our nation, the actions of, and clashes between, the brilliant yet flawed men who helped shape America and forge her early path down the road to independence--all of it was masterfully portrayed in astonishing verse and melody by a stunningly talented cast. Seriously, in terms of cultural events, this ranks at the very TOP of my All-Time List, and is most assuredly something I will never forget for as long as I live.

Whew! It was also emotionally exhausting, so by the end, I felt deeply satisfied...but also thoroughly wrung-out. But mostly, I'm tremendously grateful for having gotten the opportunity to take part in the Hamilton revolution. So, what comes next? Well, if I have anything to say about it, Dear Evan Hansen, which according to the poster in the lobby is due to hit the DPAC in March. (Can luck hold for that long? Only time will tell...fingers crossed!) Signing off for now, "I have the honor to be, your obedient servant, J (dot) E. (Couldn't resist...one last time. Okay, okay, now I'm truly finished! Ta!)

No comments: