Saturday, March 7, 2020

Ay yi yi with 2020, y'all...amiright?


Never having experienced a global pandemic before, I’ve gotta admit this whole Coronavirussituation…has me feeling a bit…on edge. I mean, when it first hit the news, from a country located on the other side of the planet, I remember thinking something along the lines of, “Oof, that sounds bad. How awful for them. I hope they get it under control before too many people get sick.” And then, as we discovered, they…didn’t. Rather, the illness began to spread, with increasing numbers of people not only being infected, but some of them actually dying, and…the previously mild, vague entity lurking in the background of our collective consciousness suddenly leaped into the spotlight and demanded attention as a real, and somewhat terrifying, threat.

Of course, I’d be completely remiss if I didn’t mention right upfront how lucky (and infinitely grateful) I am to live in a developed nation, with 21st century hygiene-- and a partner whose job provides access to health care. (Regardless of how the current…idiotic…administration is catastrophically botching this whole issue. But that’s a can of worms I’m leaving firmly closed for the purposes of this post. *Restrains self from commencing rant.* You’re welcome…)

Even better, a recent social media post served as a palpable reminder of how incredibly fortunate I am to reside in my specific little corner of the world. It was just a brief notice on Twitter, announcing that UNC researchers had created a test for the disease, and as soon as it cleared FDA approval, they’d be able to use it to screen folks who might have been exposed and/or are displaying symptoms. Wow. Plus, that other university a couple of miles away (mutter mutter rhymes with Puke—ha!) is evidently working on one as well. Science, y’all: it’s the BEST!

In Casa WestEnders, I’d characterize our approach as…cautiousinformed…and (in my case, at least) trying to avoid unnecessary panic. Sure, we always wash our hands, but maybe we’re ramping up the frequency a bit? And using more sanitizer? Basically, whatever preventive steps lie within our reach. Now, Husband spends his days right here in the home office, so he obviously isn’t out there “amongst the teeming germ-laden masses”, if you will. But his company did the prudent thing and canceled all international travel for the time being--smart and careful being the recommended order of the day--so kudos to them for being proactive and protecting their employees’ well-being.

Even the local school system has not only addressed the evolving story but, according to a disgruntled Riley, is preparing plans for how to continue educating students in the event that everyone has to stay home and learn remotely. (Yeah, he’s soooo NOT thrilled by this prospect. Frankly, I can’t blame him, because neither am I! So please join me in taking a moment to send a quick thought out into the universe that this doesn’t come to pass. Thanks…carry on…) In the meantime, he wryly noted, “Well, I guess I’ll stop doing my daily fistbump with B. at the beginning of Math.” (I told him a friendly shoulder-check could take its place, but he gave me the side-eye and proclaimed that was “weird”. Eh, I tried…)

And really, as things stand right now, that’s the biggest fear for me, personally: the notion that I’d have to hole up in my house for several weeks, either quarantined because I’d caught it, or isolated due to an outbreak in our area. Once again, knocking on wood (throwing salt over my shoulder, ALL the good luck things) that I happen to be employed not only by a renowned academic institution, but also in the Family Medicine Department. This translates to: surrounded by intelligent, capable medical professionals all the time…who share their insights on the topic, which tend to be fact-filled and include sensible advice.

Honestly, this is all I needed hear: one of my colleagues asked a faculty member/MD, “Look, am I gonna die?” To which the physician laughingly responded, “Um…NO!” And there you have it—the DOCTORS say we’re going to be fine (those of us who happen to enjoy generally robust health to begin with, at least), so that’s what I’m choosing to believe (whilst continuing to diligently follow all the precautions, it goes without saying, right? Side note: because of all this nonsense, I also went through a period where I felt it necessary to announce, every time I sneezed, “Pollen! It’s just allergies; I’m not contagious, I swear!” Mercifully, I think we’re past that now…and they’re not going to send me home.)

Meanwhile I’ve noticed—and keep in mind this is a very small-scale, anecdotal observation from one human’s point of view--that we who do have to venture out into the…Earthly Petri Dish…can be described as reacting on a scale of…let’s call it Studiously Noncommittal…all the way up to Doomsday Freakout. Hence the sudden, irritating shortages occurring in stores these days, where one might find it ridiculously difficult to lay hands on such modern everyday conveniences as, say, toilet paper…or the aforementioned hand sanitizer. Siiighhhh…

However, on the other side of the spectrum, this week UNC went ahead with its annual Huntley Lecture, which is a talk given by an invited speaker, attended by many people from the School of Medicine as well as other distinguished guests. It was held at an off-campus venue, and I went along as one of the advance guard, to set up and greet visitors. One of the first things our small committee noticed was the distinct absence of Purell, which in our opinion should have been stationed approximately every 5 feet, prominently displayed, to encourage generous application. Well, within oh, about an hour, guess what magically appeared all around us, as if summoned by…I don’t know…Antibacterial Elves, or something? That’s right, enough alcohol-based cleanser for the entire local population to BATHE in, should they so desire. Bugs, begone!

Furthermore, we witnessed an astonishing phenomenon from our vantage point at the registration table, in the middle of all the hoopla: the housekeeping staff unobtrusively made rounds of the building, disinfecting surfaces like the bathroom door handles, on a continuous loop. Trust me when I tell you that they never seemed to stop; once they finished a circle, they started the process over again, wiping things down thoroughly. It was…reassuring, to say the least.

And finally, to add a much-needed touch of lightness to a very somber topic, there was the behavior of the very dignified conference-goers themselves. For example, I saw more than one suited gentleman offer a cheeky grin…and an extended ELBOW to a peer, for what amounted to a rather whimsical, but also much safer and wiser, token of greeting than a handshake would have been in these uncertain circumstances. I actually found it kind of adorable to behold. Gotta love docs that don’t take themselves too seriously, yeah?

There you have it…here’s to keeping calm, avoiding hysteria, and lathering our digits in soap and sanitizer. And, all joking aside: fingers crossed that we all come through on the other side of the Great Coronavirus Scare of 2020!

No comments: