Monday, August 3, 2020

August...antics? Angst? How about a bit of both...

Trudging resignedly into August, I must confess that I'm finding it somewhat difficult right now to maintain my own morale--especially after a July that was marked by disappointments. We already had to forego our planned hiking expedition to the wilds of...Tennessee. But then this weekend we were supposed to at least end the month on a joyful note, by heading north for our annual Maryland Summer sojourn. Alas, we were thwarted once again by the damned Coronavirus, whose presence reared its ugly head amongst the friends who normally host us, causing them to shut down the inn, as it were, and advise us not to come. (They're fine, thank goodness--just exposed by someone else and exercising an abundance of understandable caution.) So if you're counting, the score is currently COVID: 4, Team WestEnders: 0. Siiiiighhhhh...

As with our previously scheduled vacation, everyone had done the responsible thing, and requested the days off from their jobs well in advance--so I guess we can be grateful for the extra downtime? For Derek this meant catching up on sleep, since his package sorting job continues to run overtime almost every shift, and therefore severely cuts into his preferred 10 hours/night of slumber. (I'm not even kidding. The dude does love his shuteye...) As for Riley, it turned out that the cross-country team had been tossing around ideas for how to replace their traditional camp experience, which takes place around this time every year at App(alacian) State, and acts as not only a training opportunity, but also a highly anticipated bonding activity.

So they chose...this weekend, naturally...meaning that Riley immediately petitioned to skip the out-of-town journey anyway, for the chance to work/hang out with his running peeps. Of course, they can't exactly replicate the format; for example, instead of (I assume) staying in dorms and using the facilities and trails at the university and in the Boone area, they're meeting up for time trials, hill sessions, goal setting, and recreation in and around Chapel Hill/Carrboro/ Durham. However, my kid (who truly defines the old adage 'early-to-bed-early-to-rise') really only wants to participate in the daylight events. So, grabbing dinner and eating together after an evening run? Not interested. Overnight camping at Jordan Lake? Oh, H...ECK NO. Eh, he seems to be enjoying himself nevertheless, and he's been pleased with his recorded times (one of which was 48 minutes...for 8...miles), so I guess that's all that matters, yeah? To each his own... 

Meanwhile, the calendar flipping to August triggered that most magical time...you know what I'm talking about...College Application Season--whoo hoo! Seriously, I'm surprised Riley didn't have an alarm set at midnight, alerting him that he could begin officially filling out his information, because he's been working on the essays for, oh, about a month now. So he used some of his bonus spare time to finalize (I use that term loosely...because it's ALWAYS subject to change with this one) the group of colleges to which he wants to apply, and to recheck and list the requirements for each one, thereby getting all of his proverbial ducks in a row waaayyyy before any deadlines even think about beginning to approach. Nope--don't try sneaking up on this guy, friends!

And while we're on the subject of academics, it's been a loooong...Spr-ummer since either of the WestEnders boys have seen, you know, an actual "school" of any sort...and only some of that is going to change. You see, our local system decided that--for now, at least--they're setting up the first semester of 2020-2021 to consist entirely of remote learning. It goes without saying that Riley is...less than enthused...about his new crop of (5) AP courses being online, but he does understand that it's the safest option. 

On the other hand, the University of South Carolina is still moving forward with their "bring everyone back (who chooses to come)" agenda. I just...don't have high hopes for 27,000 students, plus faculty and staff, staying healthy in a region that still doesn't boast promising numbers for showing they have the outbreak under any kind of control whatsoever. Fortunately, Derek's mindset seems to be realistic, even if mixed with a solid dose of pessimism. While on our family outing last week I asked him what he thought would happen this Fall, and he snorted while replying, "Oh, my group thinks it's all going to be shut back down and we'll be home by October." Well...I can't disagree with that assessment, so we'll just...wait and see? (With fingers crossed, obvs...)
Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, twilight, outdoor and nature

There's been a lot of that, actually--both the holding pattern and the trying to remain hopeful. With many of our usual pastimes unavailable (Can I tell you how much I miss movies? And baseball games? And doing...fun stuff...with other people?) I've struggled to figure out another diversion. I mean, the one paint-by-numbers kit I completed was super-entertaining and satisfying while it lasted, but it's not really a sustainable hobby, since no one needs a house full of...ahem...coloring-book-quality artwork. BUT I was able to identify that it was something about creating with colors that seemed to bring me the most contentment, so I decided to seek a similar medium. 

Thus I bought a watercolor tutorial set...and quickly realized that A) my "copying skills" are, shall we say "poorly developed" and B) that I'm much better at filling in someone else's vision than I am at imagining my own. This explains why all of my attempts so far resemble the output of, say, an elementary schooler. But is it amusing? Sure, as long as I manage expectations, and accept that this does not in fact represent a heretofore undiscovered well of talent--but only a pleasant way to help get through a damn pandemic. So yeah, it is what it is...and we'll take it!

And there you have it--this update leaves us a mere 2 weeks out from both of my scholars returning to their educational...whatever...after the Summer That Wasn't. Hey, at least we still get to look forward to the crushing heat and humidity sticking around for another month--or two--amiright? (Oh yeah, add that to the official tally of Things. I. Am. O-V-E-R...) Honestly, though, I remain grateful as always that my loved ones are okay, and I know this will be over someday, blah blah blah...but sometimes ya just gotta vent a little bit, so I'm also thankful for the space to do that. I feel lighter now...and definitely ready for some iced tea, a beach book (even if read inside whilst lounging in the air conditioning), and some peppy tunes. Rockin' the staycation vibes, fam...peace out!

No comments: