Tuesday, July 14, 2009

(Not quite ready for...)Boom Boom Huckjam*!

My children have suddenly morphed into skate punks. It happened seemingly overnight. One day they were cute little helmeted tots, zipping around the driveway on their scooters..the next it was all "hey, dude, wanna see me do an ollie?" (I don't even know what that means!) I do know they've added pads to their equipment (thank goodness), and they're out there "grinding" with the older boys for hours and hours each day. I have also learned that a "double rim" skateboard is far superior to its pitiful "single rim" cousin, in terms of being able to (theoretically at least) do cool stunts. So the enterprising Wachs Terrace Gang are already dreaming big things--to learn tricks, make videos (okay, "have Mom film us"), perform for the neighbors, maybe extort a little money from the kindhearted parents who come to watch their "shows". And as their Manager, I have my own plan: collect those earnings and tuck them safely away in a Broken Bones/Stitches/ER Fund....or college, if the Professional Skate Circuit doesn't pan out!

*We heard an advertisement on the car radio one day when Derek was about 2 years old. It was for Tony Hawk's Boom Boom Huckjam Tour and we all repeated it and giggled uncontrollably the rest of the ride. These days, Tony Hawk's a household name and has even been invited to visit the White House, yet somehow I still don't know what a Boom Boom Huckjam is. Hopefully someday one of the boys will tell me...

No comments: