Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Stay Tuned for Drama...Intrigue...Playground?

It's been a while since I've taken my boys for a romp at the park. They're at the age now where I don't have to follow their every footstep, hovering over them in case they fall. In fact, I got to sit back and watch the highly entertaining show. The cast consisted of mostly elementary-aged boys, some of whom D knew from school. The plot included a daunting battle of physical prowess (um...make that "a rousing game of Tag") spiced up with a pinch of cheating ("I can't be It, I wasn't even playing"), a dash of taunting ("Nyah, nyah, you can't catch me!") and several Survivor-worthy alliances ("You grab his arm on the way by, and I'll get him"!) Afterwards, while the competitors caught their breath, a small mystery presented itself: "where has the babysitter gone?" (collective sigh of relief: she's only over by the water fountain). And then, in the thrilling climax, we all gathered around one of our heroes as narrowly escaped a brush with serious injury! (This actually happened: Derek got his arm stuck in a jungle gym when he tried to reach through and grab his brother. I seriously was practicing in my head the mortifying phone call I would be making to the Fire Department. Thank goodness he wiggled his skinny little chicken-wing arm free before I had to explain that one.)

So there you have it. The only thing missing (since these are pre-pre-preteen boys) is romance, and you have a complete Kiddie Soap-Opera!

No comments: