Thursday, November 12, 2009

Aging...gracefully?

My Uplifting Moment of the Day came to me courtesy of a lovely co-worker (you know who you are) who paid me an unexpected compliment (aren't they just the best kind?).  Somehow--through a convoluted and confusing maze of conversation that I can't even recall right now--we were discussing the various ages of the assembled Lunching Ladies. Suddenly someone fired the Dreaded Question my way and, since we were being truthful (darn it) I was forced to own up to all of my 42 years.  My new favorite co-worker turned to me, eyebrows arched quizzically, and said (wait for it...this is my favorite part...) "But I thought you were about 31!"  Well, then YES, yes I am.  That's what I meant!

Now, I'm certain about two things: 1)she knows this could not possibly be true, and 2) she was deliberately underestimating, because she's a kind, thoughtful person and wanted to spare my feelings.  But you know what? I don't care one bit! Because for the rest of the day I felt...refreshingly younger. So very shallow and vain, but there it is. Of course I know rationally that "age is just a number" and blah, blah, blah (how often did I preach that to myself when I hit 40?) but just for today, hearing a smaller number lifted my spirits. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to actually be 31 again, if it would mean giving up my life and all the experiences of the past 11 years...but it was a welcome relief to be reminded that other people (unlike me) may not be focused on the gray hairs and the wrinkles (each and every one of which I attribute to my children, by the way.  Nothing I did, no sirree!)  And really, laughing with girlfriends results in a MUCH better facelift that Oil of Olay any day!

No comments: