Tuesday, October 5, 2010

They're an American Band (kind of)

Everyone cover your ears; the Neighborhood Band is at it again! (and by the way, I'm not kidding about the need for earplugs--let's just say they need some tuning...) This time, they're trying to be more serious and organized, holding "meetings" on the back porch before "rehearsing their set". Derek had me show him how to plug his amp into the outside socket, so both the electric guitar and microphone could be even louder (um...YAY?!) He's also been writing songs* in his special notebook, for the singers to learn. I've even heard them practice the very important task of Announcing the Band Members, which they perform with great enthusiasm and importance, as though they are standing in a spotlight, onstage in an arena filled with thousands of screaming fans, rather than facing a backyard full of disinterested squirrels. Derek has begun politely prodding me again to sign him up for drum lessons (which he has wanted since he was about 2 years old--but I made him start with guitar so he could learn to read music...and because everyone knows drummers are Chick Magnets, and I hoped to postpone that phase for as long as possible...)

I fear he's already getting an small taste of the Rock Star Life, though. I overheard his Lead Singers (two neighbor girls) telling him one day that they "couldn't get his song out of their heads!" (confessed with much accompanying squealing and giggling) When we arrived home one afternoon and the rest of the posse was already outside playing, I swear they shrieked, jumped up and down, and called "Derek! Derek's here!" upon spotting our car. You would have thought the Jonas Brothers bus had pulled into our driveway. Another day, one of them had a friend over and was introducing her to Derek--her response was an excited: "Oh, you're Ellen's friend, the drummer!" (She doesn't even attend the same school as Derek. So he has potential groupies all over town, apparently. But if they start tossing articles of clothing at him, this whole Band thing is sooo O-V-E-R!) And finally, on the "business side" of things, Derek told me they'd decided not to let Alan be their Manager. Why? "He tried to come in and take over and change us. We didn't want the negative energy," he stated earnestly. Oh. Good. Grief.

The goals of this neophyte group? As outlined by Derek: to improve musically, to play for an actual audience, and...to get written up in the local paper! I wonder if this is how Bon Jovi got started...one day I'll be writing his memoir, all about the humble beginnings of a band that formed in a quiet Maryland suburb when the players were in elementary school. But first, I need to close the windows before After School Practice!

*This is my favorite one of his compositions so far
Hit the Stage
A thousand people scream
as the spotlight beam
flashes on the stage.

The drummers start their beat.
It goes perfectly
with the sound of stamping feet.

I try to hide my smile
as I step onto the stage.
I start to sing
from a brand new page. (yeah)

Chorus: I'm playing for the fans
that pack the seats,
and I'm keeping time
to the drummer's beat.

I'm singin' from my heart,
and I'm just getting started.
I'm playing for the fans,
as I hit the stage.

oh, ohhhh, I'm gonna hit the stage...

No comments: