Monday, May 30, 2011

Exploring Towns and Trails...

It has been well-documented (by me, anyway) that I am a First-Class History Nerd (Do you like that? I just made up my own Title! I figure if I'm going to make fun of myself AND be an overgrown Student, I might as well sound official and high-ranking). When I wrangle a few spare hours in my schedule and can sneak away, I love to drive to Places of Historical Importance and take pictures, while walking around reading each and every one of the informational signs (taking notes of course in case someone quizzes me later...sadly no one has yet tested me on how much I've retained from my self-imposed "classes"...obviously it doesn't stop me from giving an Oral and/or Written Report anyway). Now, one of the utter joys of Parenthood is: I get to drag my children along! On their long weekend! You want to go to the pool? Nah, we're going to grab this Memorial Day opportunity to take the first Family Field Trip of the season! Put down the beach towel and goggles, and get in the car!

All joking aside, I am lucky that my family doesn't just come along because I say so (although they do understand that "Mom's Word is Law"...hahahahaha!); they actually savor these jaunts as much as I do. This time, we ventured out to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, site of John Brown's Rebellion in 1859, and also repeated occupation and destruction during the Civil War a few years later. These days, it's a quaint little town, with buildings preserved or reconstructed to resemble their 1800s appearance. Dry Goods Store (stacked with cloth, cooking needs, and other household supplies), Provost Marshall's Office (complete with a list on the wall of Prisoners being held in the local jail), Boarding House--you can wander in and marvel at the apparent simplicity of life 150 years ago. Harpers Ferry also sits on a railroad line which is still in use today (yes, several trains chugged by while we were there...and yes, it was thrilling for the boys, who may never outgrow their fascination with locomotives!) To make it even more strategically significant during the War Between the States: the C & O Canal, the Potomac River AND the Shenendoah River all meander through this tiny 'burb. Since it's also nestled in a small valley in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you can climb up to some bluffs and enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view overlooking the rivers and the tree-covered hillsides.

As we traversed the steep, narrow streets, popping in and out of souvenir shops and educational spots, Derek played it ultra-low-key--fully and agreeably participating, just...quietly. Riley made up for it by bouncing up and down like an overactive puppy, exclaiming every few steps "This is so awesome! I love Harpers Ferry! Best day EVER!" (In case you're wondering, I checked the Trail Mix I had thrown together for our pre-hiking snack, and there was definitely not any kind of stimulant in it. He's just brimming with youthful exuberance, I guess!) After filling up on history, fruit, and nuts, it was time to tackle our next challenge--hiking. The Appalacian Trail passes through Harpers Ferry, and we were determined to do at least a small piece of it (assuring the boys we would not be force-marching them to Maine or Georgia...not today, anyway.) We've walked bits of the Trail before, but let me just tell you, this section was pretty rough. As in: straight uphill, rocky, and often one-person wide. While we began our trek filled with energy and excitement, I don't think we made it even a mile before turning around and heading back (blessedly) downhill. Riley (the shortest of our Outdoor Crew) called "Uncle" first, but honestly, no one disagreed with him. (Even though Derek, just to be oppositional, pointedly continued to leap over boulders and sprint up inclines and declare himself "not tired".) So it turned out to be a short but satisfying hike for us.

I can only hope that by starting them young, I've successfully brainwashed--I mean trained--the boys to appreciate these excursions, so we get as many years as possible out of them before they're "too cool" to hang out with their parents. Hey, you think it would help if I made us all First Class History Nerd badges to wear? On second thought, maybe I'd be better off just sprinkling caffeine into the trail mix when it becomes necessary...

No comments: