Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Free to be you and me!

Well, friends, it's May again. And do you know what that means? The glorious weeks that I yearn for all year, and anticipate with great excitement and impatience, have at long last arrived. That's right: my Spring Semester has drawn to a close, but the little Indentured Students--I mean my children--will remain safely enclosed in the Halls of Learning for another blessed month. So, for this lovely, happy time, I'm free, I'm free! (Except for errands, and chores, and volunteering, and House Projects...but other than that, I am totally unfettered, baby! I am the Master of my Destiny, the Captain of my Ship...and clearly, I am positively giddy at the prospect of so many unscheduled hours. I'd better rein it in a bit, lest I burn out too early.)

The very first Tuesday I didn't have to report to work felt downright momentous. What to do with my Spare Day? Why, venture out on an Educational Excursion, of course! (And yes, this is what I choose to do for "fun". If I were to star in a reality show, it would be called Nerds on the Town.) This time, I chose to visit Gunston Hall Plantation, former home of nearly-forgotten Revolutionary-War-Era patriot George Mason. (He does have a university named for him, but in distinct contrast to his famous colleagues--Thomas Jefferson and George Washington (yeah, that OTHER George)--nowadays no one seems too clear on what exactly he contributed to the Colonial Rebellion. But fear not, I'm here to tell you!) Gunston Hall lies near Lorton, Virginia and overlooks the Potomac River (apparently influential, wealthy 1700s landowners named George--Washington, Mason, whatever--were very keen on building their mansions with a view of the water.) The Colonial Dames (I am not making that up) oversee the property, and have invested what appears to be enormous amounts of time and money recreating the place in painstaking, authentic detail according to what it looked like in Mason's time. There is even archeological digging going on daily, with scientist sifting the soil for artifacts or other clues to the past.

Upon arriving, the cheerful Front Desk Attendant directs you to a 10-minute movie that provides a summary of George Mason's life, both private and political. I swear as I sat down and made myself comfortable to absorb the details of the documentary, I found myself wishing I had a pen and paper...to take notes. (What? That deceptively friendly Historical Society lady who greeted us could have sprung a Pop Quiz, you never know!) It turns out, Mason was a very important man...whom history has practically ignored. For example, he is credited with penning the Virginia State Constitution. In it, he coined several iconic phrases that his buddy TJ admired and borrowed to re-use in...the Declaration of Independence. One of these might sound familiar--ever heard of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"? Yep, that was good old GM. He was evidently a staunch believer in the Rights of Mankind, and felt that they should be enumerated and protected in a concrete, legal way.

After his service to the Virginia government, he was invited to represent his state at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia. He gave an address to the distinguished delegates, and helped draft the U.S. Constitution...but refused to sign it in the end. According to our trusty Tour Guide at Gunston Hall, Mason thought that the document gave too much power to the Federal Government, thereby ignoring the individual citizens' freedoms. (He supposedly had 19 objections altogether!) Because of his persuasive argument, James Madison later campaigned for the addition of a Bill of Rights to the Constitution. (So when you exercise your right to speak out against your leaders, or assemble for a meeting, or practice your religion, or brandish your personal firearm....and subsequently appear for your "speedy trial"...be sure to thank George Mason!) He seemed to have alienated GW with his protests, but Thomas Jefferson remained a lifelong friend and admirer, and continued to pay visits to Mason after he returned home to his plantation, until his quiet death in 1792.

As I meandered about the grounds on a pleasant Spring day, snapping photos, filing away mental reminders of what I wanted to include in my "report" when I got home, and absorbing the 18th-century atmosphere, I realized that communing with George Mason, the unrecognized Father of the Bill of Rights, was, in fact, the perfect way to spend my first day of summer freedom! I feel patriotic AND smarter!

No comments: