Saturday, April 7, 2012

News and Notes

We here at Station RJDR like to keep you fully up-to-date on all the latest happenings...or at least those that occur at the end of our quiet cul-de-sac, that is. We'll start with the Weather, which has been delightfully Spring-y in this first part of April. Sunshine, breezes, moderate temperatures...and astronomically high levels of pollen. Yes, the forecast for the immediate future calls for serial sneezing, rampant nose-blowing, and itchy eyes. (I know this for an absolute fact, since I have pollen.com bookmarked on my computer...'cuz that's just the kind of dork I am...) On to the Sports Report! Due to the increased hours of sunshine, our young resident athletes have been using their time to practice extensively. Backyard soccer shootouts, driveway basketball tournaments, bullpen pitching sessions, (No, we don't really have our own bullpen--I just had to continue the theme) not to mention the "cross-training" opportunities provided by biking up and down the street...and helping Husband spread mulch.

Now we'll take a break from the hard news to share an amusing anecdote. Riley came into my room this morning while I was playing a game on my iTouch. Noting that I was industriously trying to hurl incensed avians at smirking porkers, he said, "Hey, Mom, you should check to see if they have any other Angry Birds games...like Angry Squirrels, or something!" Without thinking, without considering the foolhardiness of my actions or the potential consequences, I absentmindedly asked, "Why would squirrels be angry?" (Yeah, because I should totally encourage this line of questioning! I. Should. Know. Better...) Riley answered with utter innocence, no ulterior motive whatsoever: "Maybe because someone stole their nuts?" And from right next to me came a sly snicker, reminiscent of those cultural icons, Beavis and Butthead, as Derek repeated, "Hee hee...nuts!" I didn't even bother to glare at him, just dropped my head in my hands and shook it in defeat. To which he defended himself (showing a complete lack of remorse, by the way), "What? I'm a GUY!" (I can't argue with that. Sigh.)

Finally, in the world of Local Entertainment, I am thrilled to report that after years of outgrowing one mini-drum-set after another, Derek has received his first full-sized kit. Furthermore...it makes a whole lotta noise. He's been practicing with it quite a bit since we brought it home (yesterday) and by the way he walks around with a big rock-star grin on his face, I'd have to assume he's pleased. The brothers have resumed their songwriting collaboration, and have been heard rehearsing their creations with Riley on vocals. They even have a band name: The Banshees (I'd guess that refers to Riley's...wailing...into the microphone, with no irony intended. However, given their proclivity to change their minds, I wouldn't go ordering any tee-shirts or bumper stickers just yet.) So far, no concert dates have been released, but stay tuned for upcoming appearances in your area. Oh, and the band members would also like you to know that if you book them for a gig, they will happily play for food.

So, that's it for this edition of our Spring Break Update. Next up: a Special Easter Segment, with a Video Tutorial on how to safely and enjoyably microwave Peeps; a Survey about chocolate bunnies (Eat the ears or tail first? Hollow or solid? Milk chocolate or white? The results are fascinating, we assure you); and Recipes to help you consume all those dyed hardboiled eggs. Don't miss it!



Derek's first drum
Starter set
"Intermediate Set"
Real drums, real microphone...real ear-splitting!

No comments: