Monday, April 30, 2012

They're scary when they organize...

You know those "critical life skills" parents are always trying to beat their children over the head with--I mean instill in their kids in a systematic, sustained manner? I'm talking about the wisdom that will help them make good decisions and become successful when they grow up. Such as, just for a completely hypothetical example, when you start early, teaching your children to respect the value of money, manage it carefully, and deliberate thoroughly before spending it? Well, I'm here to tell you that sometimes those lessons, meant to enlighten and empower your children for the future...rebound back on you in the present...and bite you in the...tushie.

A quick background summary: for Christmas in 2009, Husband and I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Wii for the (previously 100% video-game-free) family. Meanwhile, Derek saved his own allowance to buy himself a DSi, then saved again when he craved an iTouch (the latter bought under a special financing plan with the Bank of Mom, the terms of which involved Derek supplying half of the cost, and Parents providing matching funds to complete the deal, as his Christmas present.) Riley obtained his DS by cleverly informing the grandparents, his aunt, and his uncle that it was the only present he wanted for his birthday one year. Voila, group gift! That brings us to the current situation: Derek is the sole person in the house who ever even touches the Wii, or chooses games at birthday and holiday time to add to its library. He downloads (mostly free) apps to his iTouch fairly often. Riley almost exclusively plays with his DS.

Soooo, this morning, they suddenly hit me with a modest proposal: now they'd like to trade the Wii...for a PS3. Yes, an entirely different platform, starting over with new games. What the? I think Derek mistook my initial stunned silence for disapproval, as he hastened to add, "Because, you know, we only need ONE system, not TWO!" (Yeah, because that's the concept I was struggling with...I suppose I should count my blessings that he has the sense to set reasonable limits for himself, right? Fortunately, I already had in hand an extra-large mug of coffee on this Sunday morning, so I could begin to process his request...because believe me, this was only the introduction to a rational, well-orchestrated presentation that eventually included FLOWCHARTS, and sequenced steps for achieving the goal, and specific monetary figures for how it would be accomplished. Aaaargh! Who's responsible for creating these nerdlings? Oh...yeah...sigh...)

Derek "The Mastermind" explained his vision thusly (pay attention, it's somewhat complicated): We would sell the Wii on Craigslist (yes, they're familiar with this process...also my fault) and Mom would get the money, then Derek would pass on his (newer, fancier) DSi to Riley. Riley would then be able to sell his own DS and pocket those proceeds. Later, whenever the DSi was sold, Derek would receive that cash. In the meantime, Derek would pool his recent birthday giftcards and cash allotment to put toward the new game console. When I mentioned that we might be able to do another half-and-half arrangement, Derek advised (and I am not making this up), "You just focus on saving for my college education, Mom--I'll take care of the video games." (I don't know whether to be proud, touched, or horrified? A little of each?) Oh, and lest I forget, Riley has his own goal: to sock away his allowance until his birthday, add whatever gift money he might get, and buy...a PS Vita (a handheld portable system...to replace the DSi...of course).

Then, just in case I was still a bit confused on any of the finer points, Derek drew it all out on paper, with color-coding, bold labels, and helpful arrows to clarify the process as he sees it. I figure I got off easy--at least he didn't ask to make a Power Point Slideshow! Still, this whole scenario seems more complicated than buying our last car was...but I'm sure with the guidance of the WestEnders Tech Department (yeah, that would be our sons) we'll make it through somehow. Maybe I should file away those visuals, just to be certain...

1 comment:

Marcy Kopp said...

You are in trouble now. They have figured out the system. And with that being said, I want a picture of the color-coded graphs Derek drew. It's never too late to start on my parents ;) Impressive D & R!!! Well played!