Okay, for those of you who asked, here's the recipe...in the interest of full disclosure, blah, blah, blah: I got the original recipe online, then tweaked it in my own "test kitchen" (in a RARE Rachael-Ray-type-moment for me), and the results using this plan below were yummy. Now go forth and be...crunchy!
2 ½ cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
¾ cup wheat germ
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½-1 cup crushed nuts or seeds of choice
¾ cup honey
9 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons light cooking oil
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
1-2 cups dried fruit of choice
1. In a large lidded bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt, and nuts.
2. In a small saucepan, combine orange juice, honey, and oil, and bring to a boil. Add spice and extract, reduce heat and simmer about 3 minutes.
3. Pour liquid over oat mixture and stir to coat.
4. Cover tightly and allow to sit overnight.
5. The next day, make “clumps” from the mixture with your hands and drop them onto a nonstick cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 250 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until granola is golden brown and mostly dry to the touch.
7. Remove from oven and mix in the dried fruit.