Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Romeo and Juliet...with a rabbit

My Casanova 5th-grade son brought home a note from a girl today--a neatly-written, politely-worded message that he had apparently tucked carelessly into his backpack for me to find, along with his Homework Folder and Patrol Belt. Now, at this point in his life, Derek would not likely notice a member of the opposite sex unless she: A) kicked a soccer ball at him or B) tried to steal his lunch. Thus the communique was actually addressed to Mom and Dad (smart young lady, go right for the Parentals). In it, Wendy* (names have been altered to protect the pre-pubescent) states her name and address (very practical), and describes her relationship with Derek (according to her, they "sit together at lunch" and "talk to each other often"--so far, so good, it sounds extremely...Elementary School). She goes on to invite him over to her house...to meet her family and her pet bunny. How. Freakin'. Cute. Is. That? (Maybe it's some kind of Tween Test--if the bunny decides it doesn't like him, it's a Dealbreaker for the friendship?)

I must confess, as I stood in the kitchen, clutching the paper in one hand, the other hand clapped over my mouth, I felt torn between horror (my baby is WAAAY too young for this!) and admiration for this little girl. I mean, what a brave 10-year old, to not only tackle (figuratively only, I pray) a clueless boy  and try to get his attention, but also to lay it out there for his mother and father? Wow. And maybe she does know Derek pretty well, because her postscript offered...hot chocolate. If she'd just mentioned mini-marshmallows, she would have had him absolutely wrapped up. Perhaps he can negotiate that detail with her, since she ended with: her email address. Like I said, Derek could not possibly be less aware of--or interested in--girls right now. And it's a good thing, because the second he starts appreciating them...I'm locking him in his room and grounding him indefinitely. Yeah, that should work, right?

No comments: