Sunday, January 23, 2011

No More Kings, no more kings...(sing along!)

Having lived my entire life a short hop-skip-and jump from Washington D.C., I have always felt fortunate--and spoiled--by the glut of culture and history and architectural beauty that lies right at our fingertips. We have the incomparable Smithsonian, we have the stunning National Zoo (with not one, but TWO new litters of lion cubs, and loaner-pandas for 5 more years--whoo hoo!), we have one-of-a-kind monuments galore! I try to remember to take advantage of all the cool stuff, but once in a while it comes to my attention that I've missed something very important. Case in point: this past Fall, Derek's class visited Mt. Vernon as part of their 5th-grade Social Studies curriculum (heavy on the Colonial and Revolutionary War period this year, apparently). When he came home and told me about it, not only did it sound like a fascinating place to go, but I also realized that I may never have been there, myself. A shocking, unacceptable omission in my Lifelong Learning Program! (What, doesn't everyone want to take a voluntary Educational Field Trip on their day off? And then complete a self-assigned essay about it on the weekend? Am I being a Super Nerd again? Yeah, that happens...)

So I packed up some snacks, my trusty Nikon (the one with real film--'cuz that's how old George would have done it...or I could be making stuff up...) and a LOT of warm clothing, and hit the road. (Editorial Note: the last time I took an impromptu Mini-Road-Trip was in June, when there was a crushing heat wave, with the combined temperature and humidity feeling like 104 degrees. And this time? Below-freezing temps, with gusty winds up to 20 mph, making it feel like: 15 degrees. Yeah, I thrive in extreme conditions, baby! So what if I didn't regain feeling in my fingers or toes for 2 days?) I followed the Colonists' path (okay, not exactly, but I did drive the George Washington Parkway, so that counts, right?) into Virginia, on a tree-lined, winding road that hugs the Potomac River. The midmorning sun sparkled off of the water as I rounded a curve and spied the Washington Monument (and no matter how long I've lived here, or how often I see it, that sight never fails to move me.) Gorgeous.

And then, after a peaceful hour of zen-driving: Mt. Vernon. I'll restrain myself (with great difficulty) from boring you with the endless array of details that I personally found captivating (However, you can go ahead and give me a quiz, I'm ready. No really, ask me anything!) Suffice it to say, from the farm buildings, to the servants' (and slaves', unfortunately) quarters, to the 21-room mansion itself, all of the artifact-filled, historically-accurate structures offered an unparalleled glimpse into the life of the wealthy landowner and military hero who became our first President. The cheerful, enthusiastic guides spun tales about George, as a self-taught man (he wasn't able to go to college, but owned hundreds of books, an astonishing library in those days); an innovative farmer (the first one in Virginia to switch his cash crop from tobacco to wheat--huzzah, George!); a diversified businessman (besides his livestock, orchard and vegetable gardens, his holdings included a gristmill, a fishery, and a distillery!); a keen-minded tactician and respected Commander of the Colonial Army; and of course the first leader of the newly-established United States of America. And of course, they've added a technological marvel of a museum, where 1776 shakes hands with 2010. You can view the famous dentures (one word: ICK), push buttons on an interactive display that shows each side's battle victories, even examine scientists' reconstruction of George's facial features, using the latest up-to-the minute forensic techniques. Super cool.

As I traipsed around the wind-swept grounds and soaked in the plantation's atmosphere, I felt transported back to early-American times (albeit thankful for my L.L. Bean coat and Thinsulate gloves!). Until I stopped for some very modern refreshment (veggie wrap and fountain soda), I expected to see the Washingtons or one of their employees coming around any given corner. All-in-all, a highly satisfying, informative jaunt for an unabashed History Dork!

No comments: