Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Of Pre-Adolescence and Algorithms...

I imagine my life as a journey down a winding river, through a tropical rainforest. Most days I can glide along with the current, just aiming to keep the boat moving forward in the right direction. (The biggest threat during these quiet times might be, let's say, mosquitoes: bothersome but not life-threatening). When I hit the inevitable snags-- submerged rocks, unexpected waterfalls...crocodiles--I concentrate on remaining upright and steering through (and making sure everyone has their life jackets on...and doesn't get eaten). In the midst of the calm moments, I also strive to remind myself to notice and appreciate the scenery around me--the weather, the greenery, the howler monkeys (yes, that's how I picture my sons in this metaphor). And that brings me to my point (at last): even though I spend time with my kids every single day, and I like to think I'm paying pretty close attention, sometimes I look around the jungle and wonder "Who are these creatures, and how did they change, right under my nose, overnight?"

Let's start with Derek. Yesterday he was my not-quite-11-year-old son, the one who still hugs his Mom (yay!) and enjoys "Brother Sleepovers" (that's when he and Riley share the same room for the night--it's a little thing we like to call Weekend Excitement around here). But today, thanks to a snazzy Information Packet handed out by the visiting Middle School Guidance Counselor, he's an "Almost 6th Grader", preparing for Life After Elementary School. Hold on a minute...wasn't he JUST a reluctant Kindergartener, who I had to wrestle onto the bus, because he plopped down in the middle of the street and insisted he was not going? Now he blithely rambles on about 7 periods, and 45 minute classes, and exams, and lockers (with a combination--now we're in the Big Time for sure). Then his eyes positively gleam as he describes the cafeteria (yep, Derek's priorities are firm, and consistent) with its Slushie Machine, Boardwalk Fries, and Taco Bar. What the? Is he going to Middle School, or Club Med? (I jokingly asked, "Can I join you for lunch, Sweetie?" He looked appropriately alarmed at the thought of his Mommy sitting next to him...in front of his friends...in public. Yeah, he's growing up!)

Then there's Riley, who fortunately remains my baby, in many ways. He still sleeps with his Blue Bear tucked under his chin every night. He likes to hang out with Mom and Dad. However...he came home on Monday with his Homework for the week, as usual. The Math Practice included the following problem: "There were 676 balloons at the party. The party lasted 3 hours. During the first hour 155 balloons popped. A total of 463 balloons were popped during the party. Some balloons were popped during the second hour. During the third hour, there were 65 more balloons popped than during the first hour. How many balloons were popped during the second and third hours?" HOLY GUACAMOLE! As I skimmed the page, I automatically began formulating the solution in my head, with "x" and "x + 65"...and then I remembered that: Riley. Is. SEVEN. And I'm going to have to explain how to work out a multi-step word problem by setting up variables and solving the equation  (after which, I suspect we're all going to need a Slushie!)

So tonight, after I sign the Approval Form for Derek's 6th-grade Course Schedule and gently guide Riley through Intro to Algebra, I'm going to make good and sure to sneak in some extra Family Reading Time in Mom and Dad's room on the king-sized bed. Maybe the boys won't even notice some surreptitious Mommy-snuggling, if I casually get them to make me a space between them. And perhaps if I squeeze hard enough, they'll stay my little boys for just a bit longer.

No comments: