Sunday, December 11, 2011

Musically Speaking...

Derek, who has been my own Little Drummer Boy (okay, not so "little" these days, but still banging on things...) practically since birth, finally got the chance to put his rhythm and talent to use in an organized way when he reached 6th grade. That's right, I'm talking about that shining example of culture and accomplishment: the Middle School Band! (Yeah, I may be overselling it a bit...so it's a few steps down from the National Symphony Orchestra, you gotta start somewhere, right?) Now, we narrowly escaped--I mean "missed the fulfilling opportunity the Elementary School Music Program offered", since the teacher there only allowed one percussionist. So after Derek expressed an interest in taking Band as one of his classes in 6th grade, I emailed the Director during the Summer to ask her if she accepted drummers. Her response was a warm, enthusiastic, "YES, I would love to have him!" Well, alrighty then, I thought to myself, that settles it! When I told the mother of Derek's best friend (incidentally the boy who happened to have been the lone Elementary School drummer), she described the Middle School Band Director in glowing terms. In fact, before school even began, I was treated to heaps of glowing praise--no, make that gushing testimonials--about this lady's skill and dedication. "Don't worry," I heard more than once, "when she gets finished with them, it sounds like real music!" (Evidently the 4th and 5th graders sometimes played with more gusto than...tunefulness. I'm so grateful we skipped that part!)

Off Derek went to Middle School, where for the first time in his life he received formal musical instruction for 45-minutes every single day. Armed with several sets of new sticks and a practice pad, he (and his best bud) studied proper techniques and procedures while learning a set of songs for the performance they would present in December. Then suddenly, the date of the Winter Concert peeked around the corner. Of course it would mark Derek's first ever public appearance as a Band Member of any kind, but even more significantly...he would be required to wear a white button-down shirt, black pants, and dress shoes. Why do I even mention this? Simply because this child managed to make it to age 11-1/2 without owning ANY of those items! He looked like a young businessman when all decked out in his "finery." (Well, either that, or a waiter!) On the evening of the Big Show, Husband and I strolled into the gymnasium with high hopes...but also fingers crossed. After all, the 6th-Grade Band includes kids from 3 different elementary schools, who just started playing together in September. (On top of that, Derek told me some of them had never played instruments before that! Others, like Derek, might not have ever played in front of a crowd...which might lead to an...interesting...sound...)

We got ourselves situated and watched the musicians file in and take their places. When Derek seemed to be scanning the crowd--surreptitiously looking for Mom and Dad, I guessed--I gave him a discreet, waist-high wave. He acknowledged this with a dignified nod, then busied himself arranging his sheet music. (Again, I want Parental Points for behaving in a non-embarrassing way in public. Please record it on my Scoresheet so I can build up a reserve...for future potentially-unavoidable incidents that may arise...mwah hah hah!) Finally the Director stepped up to the podium to kick off the entertainment...and I have to say, those 11 and 12-year olds sounded darn near professional! The advance billing was absolutely right, Ms. Director IS a miracle worker! After we knew our ears weren't going to be assaulted, we were able to relax and actually appreciate the concert. It was also amusing to watch the percussion section scurry around between numbers, switching places so they each got a turn with the Bass Drum, Snare Drum, and (I'm not kidding) Triangle. (Believe it or not, Derek said that was the hardest to play...since it required you to hold your arm up for such a long time! Who knew?)

So we all not only survived, but thoroughly enjoyed the first of Derek's Middle School Band Concerts (the worst side-effect being a numb tushie from those darn rock-hard bleacher seats). And I will add my voice to the relieved-and-thankful swell of Parental Band Boosters, who feared a night of discord and disharmony, but were granted a welcome interlude of symphonic delight instead. So far, 6th Grade Band...rocks!

No comments: