Sunday, February 19, 2012

Here comes Lent...hide the chocolate!

I feel like a broken record--wait a minute..."record"? What's that? We really have to come up with a modern-day equivalent for that simile...so how about: I feel like...an mp3 player stuck on repeat? It just lacks a certain folksy ring, yes? Now, where was I? Oh yes, I feel like I've expressed the same sentiment for the last several years, but somehow Fat Tuesday always seems to sneak up on me. I mean, wasn't it, oh, yesterday when we were all waiting on the Groundhog and crossing our fingers for Spring? And now the Lenten Season is breathing down our necks. I mentioned this in passing to the boys, in the context of "yippee, we get to eat pancakes for dinner on Tuesday night!" (Not that this is ever prohibited, mind you, but on Mardi Gras it's practically...required. Thank goodness no one thought to ask me how flapjacks came to be associated with Jesus, because I could certainly make something up, but I truly haven't the foggiest idea.)

Anyway, in our free-association conversation, Derek jumped immediately to "Don't we usually give something up for Lent?" I clarified that many people approach it as a time for self-sacrifice and/or self-improvement, therefore cutting something out or adding a positive habit. He continued, "Remember we gave up dessert one year?" (This whole dialogue occurred in the car, but I could feel his shudder of disgust all the way from the back seat.) "Well, let's brainstorm," I suggested, "and see what we can think up." Not even a pause-for-breath later, he barked, "TOFU! Definitely tofu!" (Funny how that seems to be the very first thing that springs to his mind...every year when we have this little chat!) I countered with, "I know-- you could be a vegetarian for 40 days!" Well, you can imagine the impassioned response. It went something along the lines of: "No, no, NO! If you make me do that, I'm having steak for breakfast on Fat Tuesday...with bacon! And another one for lunch...and some chicken...and more bacon!" (Okay, calm down, camper, I get the picture.)

Next, my (mostly-teasing) suggestion for "not playing video games" was shot down in quite a hurry. Then Riley tentatively offered to not have any "Brother Sleepovers" (when Riley camps out on his mattress on Derek's floor on a Friday or Saturday night), but since it's their special bonding time, I nixed that idea. After some more silent pondering, I finally exclaimed, "I've got it! We'll all give up Nutella!" Oh, the uproar. "Forget it, uh-uh, no way!" they sputtered in outrage. That brought us right back around to...dessert. But before you applaud our good intentions or attempted efforts, let me explain in the interest of full disclosure that our "self-denial" extends only to: "weekday sweets...after dinner." Yes, they still get to have their lunchbox cookies and ice cream on weekends. Oh well, you've got to start the Self-Development Plan somewhere, right? Now maybe I can push my luck, and get them to practice a new, positive behavior as well? Hmm...cooking dinner? Doing their own laundry? Or possibly just microwaving Mom some tea once in a while...laissez les bon temps roulez, indeed!

No comments: