Monday, March 5, 2012

The Winter that...Wasn't

Well...here it is March 4th, and I'm still breathing an extended sigh of relief that once again, February has skated away, off the calendar. Although I must say, this particular February was so exceedingly mild that it more like...slunk away in embarrassment, with its (melted) tail between its legs. Don't get me wrong--I'm generally not one for wishing that the months would pass more quickly than they already do. (Heaven forbid! I'd get even less done!)  It's just that usually, February comprises 28 (or 29--Bonus Winter...sarcastic yay!) days of frigid, dark, damp weather that seem to drag on and on, just when we're all crazy-ready for Spring to get a move on and freakin' show the heck up, already. (Yes, February and I normally have some frosty words with each other, on a regular basis. We are not what you'd call..."close".)

During a typical February, we often suffer the delightful trio of snow, sleet, and freezing rain that make everyday activities like walking and driving...shall we say "an adventure". But this year? We had regular old rain (okay, at times it was downright...torrential); some wind (the lean-into-it kind of gusts that make getting from one place to another count as a workout); but we also had 50 degrees...and 60 degrees...and nary a flake of white or frozen stuff whatsoever. It was almost insulting! Wait a minute, what am I talking about--for February, when my expectations are so low as it is, it was the Best Case Scenario. And I truly do feel badly for the polar bears, up there roaming the Arctic Circle in search of some ice to cling to, while scanning the ever-warmer ocean for a nice fishy meal. I'm not claiming to be a big fan of Global Warming or anything...but I sure did enjoy NOT freezing my own non-fur-covered tushie this Winter.

And now for the Big Confession: for all of you out there still secretly (or openly) crossing your fingers that we'll get a late snowstorm, and some school/work cancellations to accompany it...I think I just might  be at fault for our unseasonably warm Winter Season this year. (It was completely unintentional! I promise!) You see, first I managed to score snow-pants for both boys...in the right size...for 50% off! What a coup! Flush with my success, I next turned my attention to the deficits in my own Waterproof Wardrobe...and found not only a pair of ski-pants for myself (on sale, ridiculously-discounted), but also (wait for it) new boots! (If this sounds like too much celebrating and patting myself on the back for a measly pair of footwear, well, don't get me started on how hard it is to buy shoes that are comfortable enough for my picky feet. Trust me, this was a big deal in my own little world!) But the snowball that broke the--not camel's, obviously--penguin's back (?) if you will, came when I purchased brand new foam-slidey-sled-things for the boys, in anticipation of the hours of fun they would experience in the drift-covered backyard on those Snow Days...

So you see, it's clear that Mother Nature interpreted all of this the wrong way. She believed I was taunting her with my preparations, discrediting her ability to bury us under another round of Snowpocalypse-like conditions. When in reality, I was just trying to ensure that my family and I would be warm and dry, no matter what kind of...stuff...she chose to hurl from the sky. But I guess she showed me!  She apparently decided to pout and withhold the Winter Wonderland for this year. Well, fine! That'll teach me, I suppose..unless she's got something up her sleeve for March...so I'm not packing away that brand-new snow gear just yet!

No comments: