Thursday, March 1, 2012

Our Own Red Carpet Moment...

When you live in the same community for long enough (13 years now for us), you start noticing hometown symbols that show up repeatedly. For instance, whenever I'm driving around the area, I can instantly spot window decals representing local Elementary Schools. While I'm out running errands, my eyes gravitate toward sweatshirts identifying the wearer as an attendee of one of the nearby High Schools. Or, when stopped at a red light, I have ample time to read (and re-read) bumper stickers proclaiming that the driver's child was a Student of the Month at Derek's Middle School. (And during the remainder of the light cycle, I find myself wondering why on earth you would glue that thing to your car--which you'll presumably continue driving for years--just to trumpet your kid's 30-day recognition?) Well...(c'mon, you had to guess where this is going, right?) I am now the lucky (?) owner of one of those bad boys, as Derek was chosen as a Student of the Month for February. (He is well aware that the sticker is not getting anywhere near my vehicle, and he's perfectly okay with that: "You're not really the bumper sticker type," he mused as I posted it prominently--with magnets--on the refrigerator. Still overflowing with motherly pride...just not damaging my car...)

So he came home with a letter from the Principal, commending his "great personal effort and commitment", applauding his "outstanding work and dedication", and congratulating him on his "positive leadership". Wow...really? Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid, but that's laying it on a bit thick for a 6th-grader, don't you think? I mean, it's not like the equivalent of the Middle School Nobel Prize or anything! Anyway, after oohing and aahing over his being selected for this honor, I quizzed Derek about exactly how he came to be nominated--was it a teacher's recommendation? A specific precipitating event? The aligning of Jupiter with Saturn? He shrugged, "No. Clue." (Alrighty then...well- done anyway, son!) Then he sighed and added, "My friends are teasing me about it." (12-year old boys making fun of a non-sports-related award? Yeah, there's a shocker. Don't let the gooberheads get ya down, buddy!)

The letter further stated that a photographer would be on hand to take the SoMs pictures, for display in the front hallway of the school. I couldn't resist...I just couldn't. (Okay, okay, I didn't even really try, so sue me). As I was tucking him into bed last night--before his big Photo Op--I asked in a sugary-voice, "So, what are you planning to wear for your picture?" He offered his typical, expected response, "I don't know, whatever I pull out of the drawer, I guess." But could I let that go so easily? (Have you met me? Well, maybe not in person ... but you know what I mean!) So of course I continued, "Oooh, I know, your button-down shirt! And khakis! Do you want me to bring up your dress shoes so you don't have to look for them in the morning?" He cut me off with a sharp, "Mom! No!" But it seems as if he actually had the last laugh, since Husband reported that this morning he left the house clothed in: maroon shorts, his traffic-cone-orange-t-shirt, and a crimson sweatshirt. Yep, that's my glowing, sunspot...Student of the Month son. (Whose obnoxious outfit will apparently be screaming at school visitors for the rest of the school year! Someday, maybe it'll work in his favor, when they describe him as "colorful" rather than "a big honking goofball"...)

No comments: