Monday, September 25, 2017

September Saturday...Stuff

If you could do anything your heart desired on a glorious Fall Saturday, how would you choose to spend your time? Well, for the Male Trio of Team WestEnders, this is what they'd call a classic no-brainer. In fact, you wouldn't even be able to finish the question before they'd shoot you an incredulous look and interrupt with two words: College. Football! (The "DUH" would be clearly implied, but I'd like to believe they'd be polite enough to refrain from actually saying it aloud...a mother can hope, anyway...) As for me, two Rs would top my list of preferred activities--reading...and relaxing.

And this week, we would definitely get around to those delightful leisure pursuits...that is, after we took care of the other pressing matters on our agendas. First up, the lads were scheduled for a service learning opportunity from 10-2. This was the Eco-Crew that Derek got hooked up with last year, in which he'd go to a nearby farm once a month and help out with various maintenance tasks around the property. Since Riley is now in High School and eligible to begin accruing his required hours-- and also because Derek had found his manual labors to be both satisfying and enjoyable--I suggested that the younger brother tag along and see how he liked it.

When they returned home after their shift--tired, dirty, and hungry--they both reported that they had, in fact, spent a pleasant chunk of time doing "lots of shoveling...and wheel-barrow...ing". The way I see it, they not only provided some valuable assistance, but they thoroughly earned their sports-watching snacks and couch time for the remainder of the afternoon and evening. To use the inevitable athletics metaphor: Everybody wins!

Meanwhile, I would be busy with a different type of physical endeavor--a 5K run I'd stubbornly signed up for a month or so ago, when I'd decided to ignore my uncooperative knee...and hope for the best. I was originally drawn to this particular event because of its intriguing title, the Blue Blood Rivalry Race. A visit to the website revealed that it's set up as a Duke vs. UNC competition of sorts, in which you're able to designate which color shirt you want, in order to demonstrate your support for either school. Light Carolina blue, darker (mumble mumble "that other institution") blue, or even a white option, which I'm assuming is for those who are so bold as to wish to represent NC State.

Okay, that was amusing enough to get me interested, but I was completely sold when I read that the proceeds would benefit UNC's Lineberger (Cancer) Center and Duke Children's Hospital. Done, and DONE! Also of note to me, I hadn't yet participated in a run held in this neighborhood, so the course would hypothetically be new, fresh, and exciting. Whoo hoo! (Of course, there's always the chance that it could also be difficult...or even unpleasant...but ya pays your money, and ya takes your chances, I always say. Or some such nonsense...)

Some other perks became evident on the morning of the actual event--such as the fact that it took me less than 15 minutes to get there. And because the Starting/Finishing line is located in a shopping center, there's plenty of easy, free parking, only steps away from all the action. As for the route itself, it wound through residential streets, with plenty of volunteers lining the path to keep you on track... just in case you missed the helpful arrows they'd chalked onto the actual road itself for you to follow. (Note: well done and much appreciated, organizers!) Oh, and any time you might encounter traffic, like at intersections, there were friendly police officers to manage the situation, ensuring the safety of both cars and pedestrians.

Therefore, with nothing else to worry about, I could focus on, you know, the "running" aspect of the 3.1 miles. Aaaannnd...let's lead off with the upside: no complaints from the knee. (Well...honestly there shouldn't have been, since I'd gotten a cortisone shot only a week ago--but apparently, it worked, so that's terrific!) However, for some reason my legs felt very tired, making it seem like I was slogging through, I don't know...blue Play-Doh, or something. (Hey, just trying to stick with the theme, here...) Which was a bit of a shame, really, since my initial impression of this course is that it was the easiest one I've experienced, since moving to Chapel Hill. Mostly flat, with only gentle inclines--it was kind of ideal, actually. Too bad I didn't have more energy...I doggedly chugged along, breathing hard, on leaden legs, feeling slooooow.

So it came as a total shock when I approached the end and caught a glimpse of the timer flashing above the Finish Line--somehow I'd managed to complete the race in 29 minutes...a feat I'm pretty sure I've never accomplished while running in North Carolina. So...we can reasonably conclude that it's definitely a fast course...and thus perhaps my new favorite--ha! As a bonus, everyone who successfully finishes gets a medal, which was heavy and attractive and kind of cool, as it includes the blue shades of both universities. It wasn't until later, though, that I realized the most awesome aspect of the souvenir: it's a bottle opener! You know, for tailgating...like when the two schools' football teams face off against one another...which was happening later that day. Yeeeaaahhhh...I missed that, like completely, 'cuz I don't follow football the way my kids do. BUT if anyone needs their beer--or soda, whatever--cracked open, I'm now your girl!

Anyway, after this...practically life-changing--revelation, there was still more fabulousness to come. For instance, the samples being offered by vendors at the site...vegan protein shake, anyone? All-natural energy drink made from tea and juice? (Both yummy, by the way, in my humble gluten-free vegetarian opinion...) And finally, something I'd never seen before, in any previous race: electronic score reporting. That's right: you just walk up to the table, allow a very nice gentleman to punch your bib number into his tablet, and watch in astonishment as a machine spits out a...receipt-looking-thingie...with all of your stats plainly displayed. Mind. Blown.

So I've gotta say, all-in-all it was a pretty entertaining way to spend a September Saturday morning. (Just...maybe...minus the actual kilometers of pounding the pavement? Joking! No matter how challenging it may be, getting your exercise out of the way early is always rewarding...one of my Life Mottos...) And you know what? Now that I'm paying attention, I've figured out that there's another, BASKETBALL edition in March, so maybe Team WestEnders can plan ahead and all take part in that one together. After all, it's for a worthy cause, it's a useful training distance for our fitness-minded family...and frankly, the more folks decked out in UNC gear at this party, the better! (Go, Tarheels!)

No comments: