Monday, June 22, 2009

(feel free to hum along) M-i-c-k-e-y....M-O-U-S-E!

Last week the boys made their maiden voyage (so to speak) to that mecca of all theme parks, Walt Disney World. Yep, it was just us and approximately 197,000 other foolish--I mean brave--souls in Orlando. How can I sum this up? The heat was hellacious. The crowds were crushing. The sunblock was slimy. And the perspiration was prevalent. But...dare I say it? A Magical Time was had by all. My sons (bless their stout little hearts) trooped from Tomorrowland to PrettyPrettyPrincessland to We'reLostLand (also known as "haven't we passed this stinking fountain twice already?"...Land) without whining or complaint. At ages 9 and 5 3/4, they're young enough to be unabashedly thrilled by the spectacle. 3-D glasses, superfast rides, Cinderella's Castle of Doom (as they dubbed that iconic Disney symbol; they ARE boys, after all), and even the Mickey-shaped ice cream bars filled them with delight. More importantly, they're not yet so cool that they're embarassed to be seen with their parents...and Life-Sized Cartoon Characters. How great is this: not only did I revisit my childhood favorites (Haunted Mansion, anyone?), but I got to savor the boys' new memories (Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin!) as well. Next time we go (and they're already trying to pin us down for Another Visit), they definitely won't want to walk next to me, letting me hold their sweaty hands as they gasp and gape at all the sights. So all the miles we trudged, all the Coppertone we smeared on, all the Gatorade we chugged, were well worth it for the chance to act like kids together, in the Magic Kingdom.

No comments: