Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Riddle Me This...

My sons have SO many things in common, a fact which I attribute to their Y-chromosome. Among these unique "boy traits" are: the ability to armpit-fart at will; a tendency to giggle uproariously whenever the words 'poop' or 'butt' are mentioned; and the knack for attracting dirt, even when sitting perfectly still, inside the house. However, since there is a 3-year age gap between them, their grasp of certain delicate topics (e.g: GIRLS) can be very different.

For example: I was excitedly talking about the Harry Potter movie opening next month, and hinting that, since it's rated PG, I might consider taking Derek with me. Instead of his eyes lighting up as I expected, his face remained grave and unsmiling. When I asked him what was wrong, he leaned over and whispered, "I don't know if it's appropriate, Mommy." And why is that, I wondered, expecting his hesitance to be about the evil Voldemort or scary Dark Magic. "I saw a preview, and there's...KISSING!" For a 9-year old, that might as well be a horror flick!

Then there's the not-quite-6-year-old...who started snickering from the backseat of the car in the middle of the Jonas Brothers song "Paranoid". The lyrics said: "that's why my ex is still my ex", and when we could finally get him to take a breath and explain what was so funny, he gasped in hysteria, "is his Y still his Y, too?" This from the boy who claims to have 27 girlfriends (I guess he's never broken up with any of them). I guess I'm glad he's getting his information from sugar-coated pop stars rather than somewhere far worse...like the school playground!

(And please let this beautiful naivete continue for as long as possible. Maybe they won't be interested in girls until they're, oh, 25 or so. I can handle that!)

No comments: