Thursday, October 16, 2008

5 Going on 15

I've known for a long time that my 5-year old son is trouble waiting to happen. Let's just say he's a bit impish (the same way you'd imagine leprechauns to be "a bit impish"). Lately conversations with him have taken on somewhat of a surreal quality (as in "you're too short to be using that kind of language"). Playing with his older brother and a neighbor: "That's a sick skateboard." (yes, he knew it meant "cool") Battling with two action figures in a very serious duel: "You will not prevail!" (at least that one I knew he got from a Disney movie) Listening to the Jonas Brothers CD: "I think that's funky!" With all this warning, I shouldn't have been that surprised at what happened yesterday. He was standing on the bed to hug me, so we were at eye-level with each other. He gave me an enormous, mischievous grin and said, "Mommy, you're hot!" After the hysterics had died down, I managed to sputter, "Excuse me? Do you know what that means?" "It means 'cute', " he replied brightly. The next thing I wanted to know was who had taught him this very special vocabulary. Nonchalantly, he said, "Ms. Mac..." (his Kindergarten teacher). Oh boy. It should be an interesting parent-teacher conference in a few weeks...

No comments: