Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Say What??

Anyone remember an old folksy-type singer/songwriter named Jim Croce? My dad used to play his records (real vinyl, or perhaps even 8-track) a lot. Flipping through the radio yesterday on the way to work, I heard his voice on the oldies station for the first time in a while. The song was not a particular favorite, but I was ready to pull into a parking spot, so I left it on. Now, I have listened to this song, thanks to Dad, approximately a million times. "Like the pine trees lining the winding road, I got a name, I got a name." But for the first time in 30 years, I sat stunned and open-mouthed, staring foolishly at the radio when I heard the next line. "Like a singing bird or a croaking toad, I got a name, I got a name." My whole life until that moment, I believed he said "Like a singing bird or a broken toe..." I always thought it was such a stupid thing to sing about...but now I'm going to break into hysterical laughter when I hear it, and you'll know why!

Dedicated to DV, my buddy in "auditory misprocessing".

No comments: