Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday--2 ways

This morning I wished my sons a Happy Mardi Gras. I explained--in purposefully vague terms-- that some people follow the custom of living it up for a few days, before thinking about the meaning of Lent and the coming of Easter. (I carefully avoided any mention of Bourbon Street, or Hurricanes, or beads, although I must confess to having experienced all of these...) I tried to keep it simple, but I wasn't sure how much the 5-year old understood. Until he came up to me after school, eyes downcast, looking somber, and said, "Mommy, we have to be serious today." Oh-kay...why? "Because today is the first day the Devil tried to tempt Jesus to do bad things!" Yes, you're exactly right! Except that's tomorrow! He brightened immediately, as if immensely relieved to be granted even a temporary reprieve from being "serious". He perked up even more when I reminded him about what puts the "fat" in Fat Tuesday: all-you-can-eat pancakes at our church!
Laissez les bon temps roulez...and pass the syrup!

No comments: